Superstition - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 17th May 2013, 07:02 Thread Starter

Just wanted to know how all the Antara owners felt about having 13 plate, as I for one am quite superstitious.
And that perhaps 13 is not a good number as I have felt or perhaps become more aware that other drivers have been cutting out on me or undertaking me , although I am not a slow Sunday driver by any means .
Is this the 13 thing or something else ( I am going to regret saying that aren't I ) mmm

White SE NAV 184 with charcoal grey leather three years old May 9th 2016
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 17th May 2013, 07:16

Strange thing superstition.
I have noticed that some airlines do not have a row (of seats) 13 bt go directly from 12 to 14 - yet they don't stop flying on Friday, 13th. To be honest, I wold not worry if I had a seat in row 13 if the plane never leaves the ground.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 17th May 2013, 08:23

I've never understood why people are superstitious.
It's the most preposterous thing to believe in things like Friday 13th.

I remember my mother was very superstitious.

She wouldn't allow an umbrella to be up, or a hat to be worn, in the house New shoes were banned from being on the dining table. If she dropped something from one hand she could only pick it up with the other hand. If she dropped a glove, she had to get someone else to pick it up for her. She has constantly throwing salt over her shoulder. She would walk into a busy street to avoid going under a ladder. And she absolutely hated Friday 13th.

If you believe in superstition, you may as well believe in fairies at the bottom of the garden or the presence of anal fixated aliens visiting the planet earth.

Antara SE Nav 184 AWD Auto. Silver/Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 17th May 2013, 09:13
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inchindown
I've never understood why people are superstitious.

It's the most preposterous thing to believe in things like Friday 13th.

I remember my mother was very superstitious.

She wouldn't allow an umbrella to be up, or a hat to be worn, in the house New shoes were banned from being on the dining table. If she dropped something from one hand she could only pick it up with the other hand. If she dropped a glove, she had to get someone else to pick it up for her. She has constantly throwing salt over her shoulder. She would walk into a busy street to avoid going under a ladder. And she absolutely hated Friday 13th.

If you believe in superstition, you may as well believe in fairies at the bottom of the garden or the presence of anal fixated aliens visiting the planet earth.

There is a simple reason for superstition - People!

People don't like to admit to themselves that bad things have happened to them for no reason, they don't like to believe that luck is just that - Luck. I agree with you it's quite preposterous that people should believe in things like fairies, unicorns, magic gods in the sky but they do and they do it for comfort.

It is a very strange thing indeed but from my own point of view I was born and brought up as catholic - with all the guilt and self loathing that entails, other catholics will understand exactly what this means - my Mother and father, all my teachers and priests used to indoctrinate us kids into believing we are all 'sinners' and that their god was the only thing that could save us. That he made the world in 6 days and listens to all our prayers and can see EVERYTHING we ever do. It wasn't very long after I joined the army and took part in my first real fire-fight that I started to wonder why any god would put us into situations like this and then completely abandon us.

The amount of cognitive dissonance that a human can employ to justify their beliefs - even to the point of attributing completely false situations - is as you say preposterous.

At this point in my life I am a very well balanced, fulfilled Atheist that tends to simply snigger at the notion of god or gods and all the associated superstition that goes with it.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 17th May 2013, 10:19 Thread Starter

Well this is good, I like debate, and Mr Inchindown I like the idea of fairies and unicorns but I do not quite like the fixed idea of Anal fixated aliens as you are lol,you must be a syfy geek like me lol
And Mr Spantara that is true about seats on airlines,which I think is strange as they do fly on Friday 13th.

And yes it is people that make superstition over the generations, but as for religion i try to stay away from that subject as everyone has there own encounters with it and beliefs but I will mention further down what I think and feel about it and if it does not make spence fare enough., I do not believe in god but I have been given plenty of proof that there is something out there apart from you passing away and leaving your earthly shell and that's it, as I used to think. As last month the truth i have looked for or wanted shown proof of since my mother and father died was given to my great amazement. And I also ask myself how did we get here ?

when my youngest son joined the army which i did not whant him to do but he felt he had to which was fare enough as the service run through our familys from Police, doctors, Nursing and Army, he was sent to Iraq where he had done two tours. i did not turn to some unseen god and pray as i found it hard to believe why if there was a god did all this happen, and why two of his friends had to die, and why my son's gun had Jammed during a fire fight and why he just missed a bomb attack? and yes I did speak to his dead grandparents in my thoughts everyday he was away, as that was part of my superstition that he would be kept safe, he was kept safe and yes he was lucky to get away in a sort of a way as he suffers from PTSD now as one of those friends I mentioned died in his arms.
But I still have my little ideocentricetys and that is who I am, as my husband loves me for them although he was brought up catholic and is atheist my thoughts on religion are at times it insights hate and anger, which I try to explain to our daughter who goes to a catholic school is wrong and unjust we also try to make sure that that faith is not indoctrinated too her in anyway, she says she does not believe in god and that is her belief and we respect that as she is only 16 and has her whole life to find out things. but she has her little superstitions, like being a white witch and causing no harm to others but just wanting to show kindness and helping others , she has gifts that perhaps I encourage. And if people do not understand then that is there problem to figure out, as it is nice to be nice, as this world and some of its inhabetents are down right rude and evil.
Plus I like some of my little superstitions because it keeps my parents and there parents parents living on.Edited by: wilma08

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 17th May 2013, 12:46

I was born on the 13th (Saturday) and I picked my Antara up on Friday 13th. What does that make me. (Keep it clean plz)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 17th May 2013, 12:48

Tell you what, pick me some numbers for tonight's lottery and I'll let you know
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 17th May 2013, 12:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghandler
Tell you what, pick me some numbers for tonight's lottery and I'll let you know
I can pick you some numbers if you like. Whether you'll win, that's another story.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 17th May 2013, 13:00

Ok, go for it? I figure that you must be luckier than me, have a look my post on Time to find a Spare?

I'll let you figure the rest out
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 17th May 2013, 13:36 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligaf
I was born on the 13th (Saturday) and I picked my Antara up on Friday 13th. What does that make me. (Keep it clean plz)
Lucky

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page