Private plate Dilemma - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2nd May 2013, 19:52 Thread Starter

Now Antarius has brought up the topic of private plates, I have been looking at them for some time myself. As I don't have a middle name I am looking for alternative words.
My first thought was HGV asmy profession, but not keen.
So I thought I'd ask your opinions on what stands out more.

02 OLD

08 ALD

Thanks in advanceAndy Edited by: Dilligaf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2013, 04:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligaf
Now Antarius has brought up the topic of private plates, I have been looking at them for some time myself. As I don't have a middle name I am looking for alternative words.
My first thought was HGV asmy profession, but not keen.
So I thought I'd ask your opinions on what stands out more.

02 OLD

08 ALD

Thanks in advanceAndy

Morning Andy, unfortunately the insomnia that you have jokingly referred to in the past, appears to have kicked in as it is just a little after 3.30 am

Although I am not personally interested in private plates, I did spend quite a time thinking about and checking the availability of numbers once my wife decided that she would like a set for her Tigra, so I can sympathize with the dilemma that you face.

I don't know if it was exhaustion that took over having typed all of those words at the same time but you haven't made it clear what numbers you are asking about.

Those two numbers that you have posted, what is going before them or are there plates with just those numbers and digits available to buy ?

Personally, I chose to go down the line of a plate with as few numbers/letters as possible. As it happened, the "J" plates had just been released and I was quick enough to get a low and I mean a very low single digit to accompany the "J", followed by her three initials.

In my humble opinion, the use of smaller numbers/letters on a registration plate makes it clear that it is a private plate whereas the numbers/letters that you have posted, will make the plate look like a "normal" one if the standard two letters are indeed added to the front of them.

Not only that but if that is the case, you will be putting on a private plate that will make your Antara look older than it really is, eg

SJ02 OLD or SJ08 ALD identifies the car as potentially being either a 2002 or 2008 model whereas plates such as A7 OLD or A7 ALD, camouflage the age and in my opinion, is a more distinctive and striking plate.

Vauxhall Antara Exclusiv AWD in Daydream Beige
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2013, 14:56 Thread Starter

After noon John I appreciate and sympathize where you are coming from on the sleep issue as I have been suffering similar problems mainly due to shift work. I finished at 03:15 in bed tired at 04:30 and then nearly an hr to get to sleep.
On the issue of the number plates, I am getting a plate for my wife which will be a letter for the month she was born, 2 numbers for the year and 3 letters for her initials.
As they are cracking down on you moving numbers and letters to make up words on a plate, my idea was to the first 2 letters as my initials (as I have no middle name) then the rest were supposed to read 02 old (too old) and 08 ald (bald).
Unfortunately no other person on the forum has commented, so I'm guessing that the words don't stand out that well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2013, 15:10
Groupie

I would never have got that if you hadn't of explained it. But then - I'm like that with most private plates unless they're really obvious.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2013, 16:27

Hi Andy, I would suggest that you are creating a very narrow niche by going down the route that you have explained.

I wish you the best of luck in your quest but I stand by my earlier observation that by using either of the "02" or "08" plates, you are making a new car seem older to everyone who doesn't know that the Antara is actually displaying a private plate.

Vauxhall Antara Exclusiv AWD in Daydream Beige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page