Having a Bad Day - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 28th April 2013, 17:47 Thread Starter

The dealership replaced the damage console to my Antara yesterday, everything looking good Then today on my way home from dropping my Police Dog off into kennels, still finding my way around the Antara I drove straight into a mobile speed trap at the edge of a village I didn't realise I was doing around 35 mph in a 30 zone, only had the car for less than 2 days and it looks like I've been nicked ( A very expensive journey )

Before anyone asks, this will be my first penalty since passing my test at the age of 17 y/o, still doesn't make feel any better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 28th April 2013, 18:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghandler
The dealership replaced the damage console to my Antara yesterday, everything looking good Then today on my way home from dropping my Police Dog off into kennels, still finding my way around the Antara I drove straight into a mobile speed trap at the edge of a village I didn't realise I was doing around 35 mph in a 30 zone, only had the car for less than 2 days and it looks like I've been nicked ( A very expensive journey )

Before anyone asks, this will be my first penalty since passing my test at the age of 17 y/o, still doesn't make feel any better

From my experience of driving lorries, is that most car speedometers are under so at 30 you were closer to 28 and if it's a police controlled., then from the programs I've seen they allow you 10% plus 3-4 mph.
Thankfully we do live in a country where most of our officers use common sense.
Then again I did get done for doing 46 in a 50 by a static camera and I was driving a hgv so should have been doing 40 and no leaniance given.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 28th April 2013, 19:53 Thread Starter

Guess I can't blame anyone but myself, however the Antara is a big vehicle so until I get use to it I better keep checking my speed as I come into 30/40 mph zones? The mobile speed camera unit was un-manned so couldn't even check if I was over the limit?

If caught I will probably elect to go on a driving awareness course, so no plenty points, but the half day course is £92, a very expensive trip to the kennels

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 28th April 2013, 21:08
Groupie

Quote:

Nice one Joe - you've done well to get away with it for this long!

I've only had the one penalty on my licence before as well and it still has 18 months to run before it's served.
Glad to see there was no hassle getting your centre console fixed.

Edited by: JFDM
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 28th April 2013, 22:16

Quote:
Guess I can't blame anyone but myself, however the Antara is a big vehicle so until I get use to it I better keep checking my speed as I come into 30/40 mph zones? The mobile speed camera unit was un-manned so couldn't even check if I was over the limit?

If caught I will probably elect to go on a driving awareness course, so no plenty points, but the half day course is £92, a very expensive trip to the kennels

Not all areas offer the course, l just got a letter and it said send your License.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 28th April 2013, 23:08

I have been driving for 26yrs and have had a clean licence for that time, can you not appeal against it, as driving I think is part of your job and explain the situation, it can be really hard to keep the speed down in the big car, sometimes I put the cruise control on when coming into the village, and put it at 28 mph. I feel sorry for you my husband got points when our daughter was 2 yrs old we were driving to Falkirk and going through the villages, there were no sights just fields on both sides, we were coming into a village down hill and this Policeman jumped out from behind a wall with a speed gun and got him, we got stopped up the road and told he was doing 40mph in a 30 zone my hubby tried toned plane about no signs and the fields being both side but no, so I feel your pain, we were driving our Nissan Trano at the time. Try not to let it blight your enjoyment of your new car.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 28th April 2013, 23:19

Quote:

What is the "minimum" speed that you must be travelling at for a speeding ticket to be issued in England ?

Up here in Scotland, no action is generally taken if the driver of a vehicle is 10% over the speed limit plus 2 mph, meaning that 35 mph in a 30 mph limit is okay as long as there are no other mitigating circumstances.

"Yer teas oot if ya dae mair thun thurty six tho'"

Vauxhall Antara Exclusiv AWD in Daydream Beige
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 29th April 2013, 00:01

Put it down to experience, what's done is done, that's what I say to the family if something is wrong and you cannot do anything about it, if you are not driving tomorrow have a wee bourbon and relax. Enjoy the car.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 29th April 2013, 08:33

I've only ever had one speeding ticket. That was for doing 55 in a 30zone on a motorbike when I lived in Portsmouth.
Got caught by a bike cop. Only reason I got caught was some mindless yob had smashed my wing mirrors the night before, and I didn't see him coming.

That was back in about 1976 and I got an endorsement and a £25 fine.

Antara SE Nav 184 AWD Auto. Silver/Black
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 29th April 2013, 22:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inchindown
I've only ever had one speeding ticket. That was for doing 55 in a 30zone on a motorbike when I lived in Portsmouth.
Got caught by a bike cop. Only reason I got caught was some mindless yob had smashed my wing mirrors the night before, and I didn't see him coming.

That was back in about 1976 and I got an endorsement and a £25 fine.

That was quite a hefty fine was it not ?

Vauxhall Antara Exclusiv AWD in Daydream Beige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page