One Way Ticket !! - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 23rd April 2013, 09:06 Thread Starter

The question is a simple one, the answer may not be as there are or could be so many variables to consider.

However taking out of the equation, age, health, family, pets etc etc, would you ever consider volunteering for a one way ticket to Mars ?

As you may or may not know, a Dutch Company named Mars One are looking for people to do just that (in 2023) but the sting in the tale is that while it will take seven months to get there, it isn't possible to bring you back. Radiation and in particular radiation sickness is a concern and scientists believe that because of the radiation aspect, the human body will acclimatize to the conditions through time meaning that the body may change and become "less" human like

That is the negative side but on the positive side, the company will arrange for the construction of a building using robots as well as creating an oxygenated surrounding with water, capable of growing your own crops.

No more work, alarm clocks, rain, taxes, Britain's Got Talent or X-Factor, surely these must be huge incentives and outweigh any negatives, or do they ?

Just in case you are still sitting on the fence, just think if you are successful, you will become as famous as Neil Armstrong and have buildings and streets named after you as well as a Wikipedia entry all to yourself

So the question is, would you or wouldn't you ?

Edited by: Antarius

Vauxhall Antara Exclusiv AWD in Daydream Beige
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 23rd April 2013, 09:47

My body has already "acclimatised" and certainly become less "human-like". It has less to do with conditions on Mars than the ravages of time and gravity.

Nonetheless, and despite these bodily changes which have crept upon my incrementally and unnoticed until I suddenly realised that my physical prime is well past and never to return, I would not consider a one-way ticket to Mars.

I do not need a transient Wikapedia entry; Britain's Got Talent and the X-Factor can both be resolved at the flick of a switch; rain, I am sad to say, is severely missed when it has been absent for some length of time (well, I missed it when living in the Kalahri for 5 years); I don't sleep so well any more so an alarm clock is superfluous anyway and, as for taxes, there is nowhere - I repeat absolutely, NOWHERE - where the taxman will not find you, humiliate you and leave you poorer. I see no advantages in moving to Mars.

On the contrary, I see only disadvantages. There are no river banks to sit on, dangling a worm-laden hook in the water as an excuse to drink red wine and eat cheese and pickle sandwiches; seafood, which I love, will never be on the menu; a good malt will cost the Earth (or maybe Mars) if it is available at all; there will be no white Christmases; bird-song will not be heard and, worst of all, when the wife gets to be a bit too much there will be no escape by taking the Antara out for a "regen" (and you though regen would not be mentioned in this thread!).

Nah, I am keeping my size 11s firmly planted on terra firma.
Edited by: Spantara
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 23rd April 2013, 10:06

Rich people and their money are easily parted.
Mind you, I can think of a few people I would like to see go there and not come back.

Antara SE Nav 184 AWD Auto. Silver/Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 23rd April 2013, 12:13

Short answer. ..NO
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 23rd April 2013, 13:01 Thread Starter

Can you imagine arriving and then not liking the rooms, the decor or even the area where the "house" has been built ?

Oh wait a minute ! that's not me, that's my wife talking

Vauxhall Antara Exclusiv AWD in Daydream Beige
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 23rd April 2013, 14:25

I think it would be great if someone just got there.
As a person who grew up with the space race, one of my biggest disappointments in life is how little we have done in space. I genuinely thought we would have settlements on the moon and Mars by now.

It's a shame the only reason the USA went to the moon was to show two fingers to the Russians. We had an opportunity after the Apollo missions to really make the effort for extended space exploration.

So if somebody does manage to put together a mission to Mars, one way or not, then they will have my best wishes.

Antara SE Nav 184 AWD Auto. Silver/Black

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page