I HATE WIND - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 9th January 2015, 20:47 Thread Starter

Well I've just got my electricity back on 10 minutes ago after being off since 1am. You don't realise just how much of a drag a day can be until you don't have any electricity.
I do have a small generator, so was able to boil the kettle and heat stuff up in the microwave. The electricity from the genny is not clean enough to try to run computers or TVs, so I've been watching movies on my tablet and listening to the radio all day. Glad I don't have to do that every day.

Not sure how strong the winds were at my place last night, probably gusting over 80 mph.

In any case, it was strong enough to blow some tiles off my roof, strip the felt of one of my sheds and knock over a couple of trees in the garden.

Contacted the insurers, but still waiting for their contractor to contact me so the roof can be inspected. Tried to get a local roofer, but none of them were answering their phones today. Probably up to their eyes in roof damage.

The only road out of my place was blocked by dozens of blown over trees early this morning, but they were cleared fairly quickly so I could get out for a paper and some shopping.

Everywhere I went there were lots of trees down.

A really wild night.

Antara SE Nav 184 AWD Auto. Silver/Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 9th January 2015, 22:06

Not so good. Father in-law lives in Invergordon, the power there has not long been put back on. We had it very wild here but no damage. I was on nightshift and drove through at the peak of it, car was getting blown all over the road and visibility was very poor due to the torrential rain.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 9th January 2015, 23:08

Hope everything gets cleared up and sorted for all affected by the weather, we had it fairly easy in Lancashire with only 40 to 50mph gusts.

Antara Diamond 163bhp 2.2cdti 4wd in Sovereign Silver with black interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10th January 2015, 17:50

What wind? Bit of a breeze here, nothing to worry about.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 14th January 2015, 13:45 Thread Starter

Just to add insult to injury, not only have I got a hole in my roof, I now have 8 inches of snow on the roof as well.
God knows what will happen when it all thaws and starts pouring through the hole in the roof.

It's winters like this that could really make you want to look for a nearby gas oven to put your head into.

Antara SE Nav 184 AWD Auto. Silver/Black
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 14th January 2015, 14:22

I had similar a few years ago with regards to a missing roof tile/hole. I ended up climbing into the loft and taping a feed bag over the gap from the inside, just so as the snow/melt water ran down the outside of the bitumen sheet and away from the loft space.
Good luck up there!

-LaZ-

Antara 163PS: Bluefin Remapped to 210PS
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 14th January 2015, 16:36
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inchindown
....look for a nearby gas oven to put your head into.

Sorry to dampen this, but that won't work any more. No methane in natural gas so you can't die of poisoining from breathing it.

However, leaving on and applying ignition source should end it for you. Quite possibly for anyone else within a 10 metre radius, so do think of others in your hour of desperation.

MY2013 13 plate 2.4 Exclusive in Carbon Flash. The missus\' car, and yes it\'s petrol powered
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 14th January 2015, 17:31

I think you meant there's no Carbon Monoxide in gas supplied to households now...gas is exclusively Methane, with added odour to make sure you can smell it, since naturally occurring Methane has no odour. Pretty dangerous stuff and very flammable! Depending on the scale of the leak a Methane explosion can be pretty bad...
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 14th January 2015, 22:14

You evil man but it did make me laugh and choke on my crips

White SE NAV 184 with charcoal grey leather three years old May 9th 2016
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 15th January 2015, 00:34

Choking on crisps?! That's almost as lethal as methane! Some crisps are **** sharp!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page