Gearbox refill - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 6th August 2019, 14:20 Thread Starter

Gearbox refill

Can anyone help, I need to change the oil 2012 antara 2.2 manual box rather than use filler plug is it possible to drain it and then refill it via the level plug, seems hard to get to filler plug.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 7th August 2019, 08:38

Hi

I replaced the gearbox oil my manual 2.2. Then went on the do the transfer box and back axle, they are more straight forward.

I cannot recall the gearbox having a level plug. From memory it has a drain on the underside of the gearbox and a refill plug in the top. Its not to bad to get to the filler plug. You remove the under tray and battery, the radio isn't coded. I then undid the bolts in the fuse box and lifted off the top, and flexed the bottom of the fuse box for more access, then remove the bolts from the battery tray and place the tray to one side, then you can access the filler plug on the top of the gearbox. It is awkward but achievable. Don't do what I did and loosen the bolt on the ac pipe on the top of the engine thinking it was a mounting bracket, the pipe is in two halves and you loose gas. I have a manual Draper oil pump which holds 1 litre of oil with a flex pipe and bent metal filler pipe. I removed the metal filler pipe on the end of the flex and pushed the flex into the top of the gear box. I measured the amount of oil removed from the gearbox which was just over 2.3 litres and I put 2.4 litres in. You need to check the correct fill amount as different cars have different amounts of oil in the gearbox. Someone might know the correct fill amount. Hope this helps
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 7th August 2019, 09:21 Thread Starter

Thanks for reply mine is front wheel drive don't know if there is a difference probably not, it seems a lot of faffing about to get to the filler plug when according to the diagram on this forum there is a level plug so it seems logical to me to drain it and refil through that as with most boxes I have worked on,just seems strange to put a filler plug when level plug looks easy to get to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10th August 2019, 15:03

Mine is obviously the 4 wheel drive, If the two wheel drive has a level plug then that should be much easier. At least you can check the level easily which I cannot do on mine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page