DPF Regen time - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 14th February 2019, 18:21 Thread Starter

DPF Regen time

Sorry for keep asking loads of questions on here, but after reading through the various posts on here, I'm learning a lot more about my car. But it's also like self diagnose by online websites, you think you have all the ailments in the world!

Anyway, this question is about DPF regen. Everyone seems to say/think it should be happening every 500 miles or so.

I have done about 15,000 miles in the past 4 months since buying it, and my car has never done a regen once (that I know of). Is there a light that comes on to tell you it's doing a regen? If there is, mine has never come on.

Could it not need a regen because A) I use Millers Diesel Treatment all the time, (it really is fantastic stuff - I use it in all my diesels and it keeps everything clean and soot free) and B) I only really do motorway miles with only a little bit of town driving, that it hasn't done a regen? Can the car be doing a regen without me knowing about it?

The car is in for a service on Wednesday, so if anyone has any thinks this lack of regen is not right, I can let the mechanic know and he can investigate. Many thanks.

Last edited by Neddone; 14th February 2019 at 18:24.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 14th February 2019, 19:29

If the DPF light illuminates it means you have a problem developing. The 500 miles sequence is programmed in. If you do motorway miles you probably haven't noticed it. The signs of a regen in progress are: excessive fuel consumption; loss of the 999.99 mpg feature when you take your foot off the throttle; loss of the ECO feature.

2015 2.2 CDTi SENav 163ps manual 4x4 in Carbon Flash with 19\" alloy spare towing a Bailey Unicorn III Madrid @ 1500kg.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 24th February 2019, 22:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neddone View Post
Sorry for keep asking loads of questions on here, but after reading through the various posts on here, I'm learning a lot more about my car. But it's also like self diagnose by online websites, you think you have all the ailments in the world!

Anyway, this question is about DPF regen. Everyone seems to say/think it should be happening every 500 miles or so.

I have done about 15,000 miles in the past 4 months since buying it, and my car has never done a regen once (that I know of). Is there a light that comes on to tell you it's doing a regen? If there is, mine has never come on.

Could it not need a regen because A) I use Millers Diesel Treatment all the time, (it really is fantastic stuff - I use it in all my diesels and it keeps everything clean and soot free) and B) I only really do motorway miles with only a little bit of town driving, that it hasn't done a regen? Can the car be doing a regen without me knowing about it?

The car is in for a service on Wednesday, so if anyone has any thinks this lack of regen is not right, I can let the mechanic know and he can investigate. Many thanks.
Your car is pre-programmed to regen approx. every 500 miles- you just don't know it's happening. The only time the "light" comes on is if a regen is critical e.g. you must complete a full regeneration cycle.
In really hot weather- e.g. a good summer the car seems to regen more frequently- I reckon it senses optimal regen temps too soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 25th February 2019, 23:14

Easiest way to see if the car is doing a re-gen is to look at the onboard trip display in the middle of the dash at the instantaneous fuel usage if its above 0.2 to 0.3 gal per Hour then its doing a re-gen which will give anywhere from 0.6 to 1.1 Gal hour depending on the position within the cycle.
Incidentally the re-gen cycle isn't as effective if you are not at a constant speed or high enough engine revs.

I always let the re-gen complete if I can by driving an extra few miles so it can complete its cycle which is approximately 10-12 minutes.

Out of interest how many miles do you do on an average journey ??

cheers

Biff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page