Board Computer, USB, Cruise Control. - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12th February 2019, 22:58 Thread Starter

Question Board Computer, USB, Cruise Control.

Ok, it seems that my post last night didn't show up, so I'll re-do it here, hoping for some info from someone who has had the same or similar problems.

I have recently bought a 2014 Diamond 2.2 CDTI 2WD. There is a button on the central dash control panel marked 'BC' which when pressed should bring up the Board Computer and give information on engine temperature, MPG, miles to re-fill etc etc. This doesn't do anything, and when I asked the sales rep (VX main dealer) who sold me the car, he said it just needed 'updating' and could be done at any VX garage. Anyone had a similar problem, and is it a quick update?

My next problem is the USB input in the central console, under the retractable cup holder. If I plug my phone into it to try and play music off the MP3 player, it says "USB failure" in the 'USB' window of the Infotainment screen. I have tried different USB to Micro USB cables, but always with the same outcome.

Lastly, I don't have cruise control and want to have it fitted. Again, the sales rep says it is "a simple excercise, using a 'Plug & Play' stalk" Is it really that easy?

Any comments gratefully received..........................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 13th February 2019, 10:27

As far as I am aware there is no engine temperature gauge on the Antara. Other members have reported having the BC facility activated by a VX dealer (at a cost) but it seems that a number of dealers are unaware it can be done. This site's search facility will reveal much more, including cruise control activation.

2015 2.2 CDTi SENav 163ps manual 4x4 in Carbon Flash with 19\" alloy spare towing a Bailey Unicorn III Madrid @ 1500kg.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 14th February 2019, 01:22 Thread Starter

Update: Today I popped into a VX dealer in town and asked the question. The service manager (although trying to be very helpful) said that the Diamond version does not have BC function. I asked why the button was on the panel then, and he replied that it's the same panel used on the Exclusiv, which DOES have BC function, including engine temperature. This doesn't make sense to me - why put a button in a vehicle which is a higher spec, but not give it functionality?

I then asked if I could have the computer upgraded. He went away and spoke to someone and came back and told me that none of the mechanics and technicians at that dealership had ever done one, but it was possible as far as he knew. I would "have to find a VX dealer that knew about it and could do it".

When I asked how I could tell the engine temperature, he said "you can't, you'll have to wait for a warning light to come on" WTF?? That's disgusting customer service from a VX dealership and also disgusting functionality from the idiots who decided that a high spec car doesn't need the driver to know the engine temperature, the distance to empty, the mpg etc. The engine temperature is very important to me as I tow a lot (the reason for buying the vehicle) and it's always a problem with overheating with any vehicle, particularly on long steep hills. If I have to wait until a warning light comes on, the damage could already be done. Ridiculous.

On a plus point, apparently the cruise control IS plug and play and it is a minor job that's fairly cheap...........................

No luck with the USB function yet.

Last edited by Neddone; 14th February 2019 at 01:27.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 14th February 2019, 19:44

Your VX dealer sounded reasonable to me and it isn't his fault that the vehicle did not have a temperature gauge installed by the manufacturer. I tow a lot as well and always keep an eye on the coolant levels and consider driving conditions, particularly when towing. Like you, I was at first concerned about the lack of a temperature gauge but got used to it. I just change gear a lot so the engine doesn't labour. My old Peugeot 505 family estate had a gauge and I still seized that after the fan belt broke. There does not appear to be many VX dealerships with experience of the Antara and its features. The best people to contact with a query are VX UK. They have always responded to my polite queries (I gave up ranting to different companies years ago, it is not the best way to get assistance from people).

2015 2.2 CDTi SENav 163ps manual 4x4 in Carbon Flash with 19\" alloy spare towing a Bailey Unicorn III Madrid @ 1500kg.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 17th February 2019, 18:57 Thread Starter

Can't agree with you there Dulac. The whole point of going to a Vauxhall Main Dealer 'Network Q' is to get the customer service on a Vauxhall.

I don't expect them to know nothing about the cars that they are selling me, otherwise it's pointless going to them - I could have gone to any old second hand car dealer.

Also there IS a temperature guage on the vehicle - it shows up when you press the 'BC' button, but I have to PAY to have an 'upgrade' to use this function apparently......................
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 18th February 2019, 10:58

Neddone,
There is no temperature gauge (nor is there one on models by BMW, SAAB, Volvo, etc.); your dealer was correct and I disagree with your claim of "disgusting customer service". The Antara doesn't have a starting handle, spare wheel or a handbrake either, but that's progress I suppose. It does have a temperature warning light and electric cooling fan. There is a test mode setting for temperature using the BC button - read the archive using 'Search' where the subject has been well aired. The SE Nav doesn't have a BC button - it uses a thumbwheel on the steering wheel instead. Also, have you read the OM for your vehicle from cover to cover?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page