High Mileage Antaras - Vauxhall Antara Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Neddone
  • 1 Post By Biffa
  • 1 Post By Biffa

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11th February 2019, 21:46 Thread Starter

High Mileage Antaras

Just wondered if any high mileage Antaras on here, and if so how they have faired over the mileage
Mine is a 2012 2.2 with 63k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12th February 2019, 23:03

Hi Jimmas. Do you call 63k high mileage??? I do 35k a year in mine (2014 plate, bought at 60k in November and now on 75k) I am hoping it will go up to 150k in a couple of years before I get rid of it. I'd call 150-200k a high mileage vehicle.

I'm getting about 35-40 MPG as an average. Can get 45MPG if I cruise at 56mph. No problems so far - just going in for a full service next week..................

Last edited by Neddone; 12th February 2019 at 23:06.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 13th February 2019, 10:35

Conversely, low-mileage, one lady owner-type cars with large diesel engines indicate there is trouble looming. The engine and exhaust system never reach an optimum operating temperature and the brakes and clutch wear out because of the frequent stopping and starting. A car with plenty of miles on the clock - achieved through frequent long motorway runs - is a better prospect provided that the fluids (not just engine oil) and filters have been changed regularly and good quality fuel has been used.

2015 2.2 CDTi SENav 163ps manual 4x4 in Carbon Flash with 19\" alloy spare towing a Bailey Unicorn III Madrid @ 1500kg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 13th February 2019, 14:11

I think there's some truth in what Dulac says, or maybe I'm just unlucky. I bought my 2012, 2.2, 48k one and a half years ago.
(two careful owners). I've since had to replace injectors at £1250, brake pads £200, and recently new flywheel and clutch £1240 and I've only reached 57k on the clock. (and I don't ride the clutch). I've replaced oil and air, fuel and oil filters myself and I'm looking to replace the remaining fluids when the weather gets a little more mild. Hopefully I won't have any more major expenses for some considerable time.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 13th February 2019, 17:07 Thread Starter

Hi Neddone, No sorry probably didn't make my post to clear, I was just trying to find out what sort of problems people had faced with high mileage Antaras, I only purchesed mine a couple of weeks ago with 63k on it and Like you I do around 30k a year mixed driving, I have seen posts about Transfer box, Front timing chain cover, clutches, DPF etc and was just wondering how many people get away scott free of those problems and through to high mileage.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 14th February 2019, 01:08

Ah! I see now. Yep, I too would be interested in any upcoming historic faults before they happen - as I said, I intend to keep mine for a couple of years and would like to know what's liable to cause problems, based on users experiences over similar mileage and age.
Jimmas likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 25th February 2019, 22:36

High Mileage Antaras

Just picked up an 11 plate 2.2 at the weekend with 147K on the clock, so assume you are talking about something like this ??

cheers

Biff
Jimmas likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 25th February 2019, 23:06

Read a bit further down the listing and saw what you were after so here goes.

Got a post on the Forum at the moment for advice on the transfer box but hope I caught mine in time got the car cheap and took it easy on way home as new the noise was transfer box or Wheel bearing unfortunately the first.

What I know about dual mass flywheels is. They don't like sitting at tick over speeds for extended periods, so avoid ex Taxis like the plague. Also found that there is a resonance issue on some at roughly around the 60mph mark in sixth gear, which is why I never ever use top gear unless I am on the motorway in my work horse Vectra diesel 1.9cdti 150. Its got 180K on the clock and only trouble has been with the DPF re-gen which is below.

DPF re-gen when this starts let it complete its cycle !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you don't do long journeys 25 miles per run then don't buy a diesel. If the cycle doesn't finish it will start again the next time the car meets the required criteria of engine temp, time and speed, this could mean on cars that do short journeys the cycle never completes and the DPF becomes blocked. This will also cause excessive build up of fuel in the oil as the injectors are putting in much more fuel than needed. Net result of this on the Vectra is that if the oil is not checked regularly it increases in the sump to a point where it stops the return oil flow from the turbo this by passes the labyrinth seal feeds oil into the intercooler the engine self feeds and unless you are very quick slamming the brakes on and dropping the clutch in second gear like I was the engine then explodes.

EGR valve clean this every time you notice the re-gens get a lot more frequent than they should.

In short I go for the following criteria and don't tend to have a problem with my cars.

Ex Lease cars with as high a mileage in the first three years as possible.
Full service history
one driver company vehicles if possible, so no ex rentals where its a different driver each day that's thrashed it.
stone chips are fine but no vehicles that have had body repairs done.
Definitely NO EX TAXIS

cheers

Biff
Jimmas likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page