Rough sound under load - Vauxhall Antara Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 1st December 2018, 16:19 Thread Starter

Rough sound under load

2013 SE NAV manual with 80k.
This has been occurring for a while now, I would like to know if anyone else has had similar-
The car is making a kind of muted grinding sound- imagine a tyre catching on some plastic trim. It only does it under load and seems to be when the car's suspension sinks. It doesn't do it when free wheeling. imaging driving along the road, every time the car sinks- and I don't mean big/heavy bumps, just normal every day differentials in the road surface I get this rough sound. My gut feeling thinks it's something on the drive train? Does a manual car have a transfer box? and would this be concurrent with the transfer box bearings being worn?

Any help appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 5th December 2018, 19:28

only 4x4 has transfer box, could be rear diff.

2012 antara 2.2 cdti exclusive 4x4 s/s pulling 2018 Elddis Avante 554
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 7th December 2018, 17:03 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin b View Post
only 4x4 has transfer box, could be rear diff.

Yep, it is 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 25th January 2019, 20:28 Thread Starter

Had it in VX today, turns out it's the transfer box- being sorted under lifetime warranty (thank goodness) 2013 Antara manual SE nav 4x4 with 83k.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 7th February 2019, 19:55 Thread Starter

Well, one new rear axle and a new transfer box later and...…. it's still the same!! Same noise if not even worse now! Will have to go back tomorrow.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 7th February 2019, 20:10

Maybe it was one of them cheap transfer boxes they fitted.

2015 Antara Exclusiv 2.2 163ps Manual 2WD
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 7th February 2019, 20:33 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
Maybe it was one of them cheap transfer boxes they fitted.
Well it's a main VX dealer, done under warranty. They even offered to replace front brake pads + rear pads and discs for £400- that was with none VX parts to bring the price down!! Apparently, the pads are almost down to the metal, what they didn't know was that I personally stripped and cleaned the front brakes a matter of weeks ago and the pads over half thickness!! I've just priced up the brake parts at £140.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 8th February 2019, 13:08

As you are in the hands of people who claim to be experts (and have followed their recommendations) this experience and its follow-up to satisfactory completion will not cost you one penny? But then it could be argued that you should not be given brand-new units - an improvement - but should be placed in the position you were in before the fault developed, with all of its fair wear and tear. Were brand new units fitted or 'reconditioned' ones I wonder? Did they check the suspension and engine mountings as well when it was up in the air?

2015 2.2 CDTi SENav 163ps manual 4x4 in Carbon Flash with 19\" alloy spare towing a Bailey Unicorn III Madrid @ 1500kg.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 8th February 2019, 13:58 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulac View Post
As you are in the hands of people who claim to be experts (and have followed their recommendations) this experience and its follow-up to satisfactory completion will not cost you one penny? But then it could be argued that you should not be given brand-new units - an improvement - but should be placed in the position you were in before the fault developed, with all of its fair wear and tear. Were brand new units fitted or 'reconditioned' ones I wonder? Did they check the suspension and engine mountings as well when it was up in the air?
New transfer box and rear diff apparently. Called back this morning (not with car as wife has it). The guy said the transfer box was absolutely shot and full of metal particles and it had wrecked the rear diff- they had to send photos to VX. They're going to get the car back next week and the service manager and Tech want to drive it with me in it- which is fine. He says it could be the drive/prop shaft and mentioned that the transfer box, diff and drive shaft are known to be problematic on this car. I might add, the title is misleading, the noise is worse when "feathering" the throttle, when you put your foot down the noise lessens under that extra load. The noise is exacerbated when the car suspension sinks along an undulating road- as if the added weight is momentarily increasing the stress on something.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 8th March 2019, 00:03 Thread Starter

Well, finally got the car back yesterday after being in main dealer a second time- was in over a week!
Anyhow, the car has had a new transfer box, full rear diff, flywheel, engine to chassis mount (or something) and something to do with the steering assembly amongst other smaller items I cannot remember. A quick look under the car reveals lots of new shiny alloy parts!
The result is a car that now drives like new! What a difference, no more rough grinding sounds, no more "vibrating thunder" under load- just a real slick/smooth drive.
I estimate approx. 6 to 6.5k worth of work has been carried out. All done under Lifetime warranty- which is fortunate as the car now has 84k miles on it (warranty ends at 100k). The main dealer has been fantastic, no hassle, courtesy car, they even fixed the rear wash wipe! None of this has cost me a penny. Very pleased indeed.
Jimmas likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page