Said 'goodbye' to the Antara... - Vauxhall Antara Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Baz

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 23rd July 2018, 16:32 Thread Starter
Baz

Said 'goodbye' to the Antara...

So... A few things drove me to my decision to say goodbye to the Antara last week:
i) recent injector and radiator repair bill of well over £1k and the constant worry of more injector issues (was still getting similar levels of smoke from the exhaust)
ii) upcoming work needing to be completed - 2 front tyres needed, glow plug replacement
iii)we sold our caravan last year so no need for a big towing vehicle
iv) ...and the best/worst for last - it started leaking oil all over my drive from several places around the engine bay - could have been several, expensive items to repair!

Overall, we've had 5+ years of relatively trouble free, enjoyable motoring with the Antara and I genuinely think it is exceptional value for money for a car, especially if you are towing; which it does effortlessly. But, with 2 breakdowns and a couple of big repair bills over the past 9 months (over £3k - melted fuse box, failed injector, replacement radiator, replacement air-con condenser...) I kept waiting for the next big thing to happen as the 'trouble-free' days seem to have passed.

Since we no longer tow and the main duties for the car are my commute to work and ferrying kids to footy practice/matches, we popped out and exchanged it for a BMW 116d Sport on Friday - obviously the size difference is going to take some getting used to, but the refinement of the engine compared to the Antara is fantastic (I realise they are aimed at doing completely different things!).

Got screwed on the part-ex price but it was a relieve to not have the worry of an impending engine failure or expensive repair bill - so peace of mind and practicality won the day.

I've not been the most active here, but have enjoyed taking part in several conversations and getting great feedback when asking questions...

Cheers,
Baz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 23rd July 2018, 20:00

I can understand your reasons Baz and I wish you well, as a matter of curiosity what did they offer for your Antara, I have been insulted with as low as £6k for mine! 65 plate with 23k miles!!

2015 Antara 2.2 Exclusiv 2WD Manual 163 ps Carbon Black
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 24th July 2018, 10:44 Thread Starter
Baz

Quote:
Originally Posted by volrider View Post
I can understand your reasons Baz and I wish you well, as a matter of curiosity what did they offer for your Antara, I have been insulted with as low as £6k for mine! 65 plate with 23k miles!!
Cheers Volrider, the dealers online quote system came out at £6.1k, in person they offered £5k - not sure why as externally/internally it's immaculate, can only assume it will be down to them putting it straight into auction to move it on and them trying to limit their risk! WBAC offered £5,750 so we met near the WBAC price as we wanted to move on!

Not what I'd hoped to get for it to be honest, i checked the value just before Christmas last year and the offer was £9k so it's dropped significantly over the past 6-7 months. We took a hit of around £10k depreciation, which spread over almost 6 years is acceptable - couldn't have had similar on HP/lease for £140/month! Which is why I still see what you get with the Antara as great value for money...

BTW - Ours was a 62 plate SE with 35k on the clock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 24th July 2018, 13:10

Yes I am in that quandary, do I stick with the car and pay for the warranty once its 3 years old or do I move it now while its ok! Trouble is £6k WBAC offered is an insult

2015 Antara 2.2 Exclusiv 2WD Manual 163 ps Carbon Black
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 24th July 2018, 15:18 Thread Starter
Baz

£6k from WBAC for yours does sound insulting, especially given they offered just £250 less for mine which is 3 years older and higher miles. maybe the 2WD vs AWD made an impact in my favour. If you're not having any issues, I'd potentially look at an extended warranty and keep it.

Even with having given up towing, I was happy to keep mine as I enjoyed it and I'd still have it now if it wasn't for the "what if..?" and "what next?!" of things going wrong. I didn't have extended warranty on mine so knew the risk of unexpected repair bills, however, I don't think most of the problems would have been covered by warranty anyway (potentially the injector would have).
volrider likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page