Roads - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 5th July 2018, 19:12 Thread Starter

Recently returned from a couple of weeks driving/towing in France. Their roads put us to shame in the UK. I accept there are certain motorways where a toll is payable (these were an absolute pleasure to drive upon) but every other road we encountered was in very good condition - no potholes, no tatty wearing course and no fifth-rate spot repairs by unskilled contractors who don't know their trade. Also, the embankments were neat and the pavements clean. Oh, and car parking was free wherever we went, from prime beach locations to town centres. S**thole, greedy Britain. Will we ever recover our senses? Didn't see anyone eating fried crap on the hoof either, which probably explains why the streets are clean. I wonder if French sewers are blocked with fatbergs?

2015 2.2 CDTi SENav 163ps manual 4x4 in Carbon Flash with 19\" alloy spare towing a Bailey Unicorn III Madrid @ 1500kg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 5th July 2018, 22:15

Sounds like you enjoyed yourself in France then Dulac, not a place I've been to very much. Had a day
trip to Beauvais then spent a week at Le Bourget airport for the Paris Air Show.
We were stationed in London which was an hours flight away but UK time was an hour
behind so it took us two hours to get there in the morning and no time at all to come back at night. Not
much to say about their cuisine, I remember those little sparrows on the menu (which
they catch with nets) with their pathetic little drumstick legs sticking up,
their equally pungent cheese and Gauloise fags. Did have a nice swallow or two
of the French grog though.

They've always been good at putting themselves forward the French, they're at the centre of everything. Can't comment on general standards of cleanliness there, admittedly we're bad for it but I love this country - I spent years living and working abroad and wouldn't want to live anywhere else but here.

Couple of quick questions, how much is the diesel over there and what's their national speed limit?

2015 Antara Exclusiv 2.2 163ps Manual 2WD
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 6th July 2018, 00:41 Thread Starter

I guess I have an initial 300+ miles drive start over you, Victor (and you don't tow a caravan). But if you ever get the chance for a few days over there, with the car - perhaps via Eurotunnel - you might just enjoy it. Didn't see any lane hogging on dual carriageways - they overtake, signal and pull back in every time.

Diesel varies as it does over here. Shell fuel was as rare as a bloody steak, but Total was available in the independent service stations at about 1.50 Euro a litre, with attended service. Every town or large village seems to have a supermarket with a 24 hour fuel station without an attendant and the unspecified diesel was around 1.35 Euro a litre. I gather they don't pay for an annual excise licence on their vehicles.

On motorways and what we might call 'A' road dual carriageways the speed limit is generally 110 kph (120 on certain roads) with signs showing a reduction when it is wet. On typical 'A' roads as we have here it is 90 kph, but this can be reduced to suit certain conditions - like a long downhill run for example - with further reductions if you are a HGV or towing a trailer. Through urban areas the limit drops to 50 kph. The trouble is, us UK drivers are led to believe that the French police are out to catch us at every turn; this is not so. French drivers exceed the limit the same as some of us do and the local police do walk about in town. The signage is very good and speed cameras are well signposted to give advance warning to be careful. Their facilities for stopping to take a break are very good indeed; families pull up and have a picnic and there are very few fast food outlets to poison the population. And most things on sale are made, grown or reared in France (and the butcher still has a lady who takes the cash and doesn't touch the meat). All in all, highly recommended for a glimpse of what the UK used to be like, but they suffer from the effects of the Euro!.

2015 2.2 CDTi SENav 163ps manual 4x4 in Carbon Flash with 19\" alloy spare towing a Bailey Unicorn III Madrid @ 1500kg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 6th July 2018, 12:23
Baz

Dulac, I'm with you on loving the French roads and general way of life. We go there every year for our summer holiday with our folding camper - normally to the west coast near Nantes. We're doing southern France this year (but have booked a villa) and are driving all the way (13+ hrs). I'm looking forward to the drive - biggest thing for me aside from the roads being great is the manner of the road users; everyone drives in the slow lane, overtakes and moves back in with indication!! Great stuff!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page