Extended VX Warranty..... waste of money or not?? - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 5th June 2018, 18:19 Thread Starter

With my Antara coming up to 3 yrs old in September I enquired about extending the warranty.Now they do three types of cover the most expensive being £413.54pI asked would this cover oil leaks from the "usual places" he said only if engine and gearbox had to be removed... They normally do not cover oil leaks unless caused by mechanical failure of a part and that does not include gaskets or "liquid gaskets".

So is it worth the risk, has anyone claimed for this using an extended warranty??
Just wondering ???

Cheers Tony

2015 Antara 2.2 Exclusiv 2WD Manual 163 ps Carbon Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 5th June 2018, 19:12
Groupie

Well I took out the complete choice warranty which cost me £211.66. This was from the main Vauxhall web pages. I don't know where your quote for over £400 came from!! This was when my Antara's 3 year warranty expired in January this year.I took it out knowing that oil leaks were not covered but on the basis that if say the transfer box fails it will cost in excess of £1500 to £2000 to fix that item let alone anything else.
I have not (touch wood) had any reason to claim on this warranty so cannot comment on it any further but compared to other warranty quotes I had seen it seems good value for money

2015 SENav Auto in Stormtrooper white
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 5th June 2018, 21:05

Interesting. Mine is 3 years old in July - 28000 miles - and I too have just gone online to VX for a quote: £413 p.a. Nothing to do with transfer boxes and risk - Volrider is 2WD.

2015 2.2 CDTi SENav 163ps manual 4x4 in Carbon Flash with 19\" alloy spare towing a Bailey Unicorn III Madrid @ 1500kg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 5th June 2018, 22:11

You only find out how good a extended warrenty is when you put in a claim hopefully you don't need to find out

2012 Antara 2.2cdti 163ps Awd SE Nav Auto in Smokey eye Grey with light Titanium interior. With 19 full size matching spare.
Towing a Bailey Pegasus 554m.t.p.l.m. 1492kg
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 6th June 2018, 08:19 Thread Starter

I just think it is excessive £400 plus and if it does not cover oil leaks maybe I should get rid before the warranty runs out....

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 7th June 2018, 14:11

£413 for the 4th year seems too much to me, with a Vauxhall service history. What will the 5th year cost? Either not enough owners take part, or the vehicle is high risk and high cost (or, like a lot of insurance policies, various people get their sticky fingers in the money pot as it passes their nose). I might just buy £400 worth of Premium Bonds each year instead.

2015 2.2 CDTi SENav 163ps manual 4x4 in Carbon Flash with 19\" alloy spare towing a Bailey Unicorn III Madrid @ 1500kg.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 9th June 2018, 23:16

I've been giving this a bit of thought myself (believe I posted a while back I'd made enquiries with Vauxhall and they wanted around £400-odd for the first year, but only if it was taken out before the expiry of the new car warranty and provided the car had full Vauxhall service history.

I don't think I'll bother with the extended warranty but I'm not 100% sure. Trouble is you need to keep (or you're better to keep) it with full dealer service history and that's very expensive. Not only that but I found out with the last service that it was woeful. In any case i could service it myself or I have an independent garage whom I trust who's a lot cheaper eg service and MOT for £99.

The other thing that bugs me about Vauxhall extended warranty is that I'd have to put it into a Vauxhall dealer for them to strip it down then they would decide whether warranty would cover it or not. (I belileve Warranty Wise is the same). So if they decide not to cover it then I'm left with huge dealer costs for the strip down plus further to repair it. Hmmmmmmm

2015 Antara Exclusiv 2.2 163ps Manual 2WD
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10th June 2018, 07:40 Thread Starter

Victor, as usual I agree with you, awful lot of money and even then no gaurantee the failed part is classed as under warranty... Not decided yet what to do

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page