Handbrake release - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 6th March 2018, 17:24 Thread Starter
len

my handbrake releases on a slope have taken it to garage on three times but they cannot find a fault they test it on the flat also in 2016 the main cable from battery to starter melted burning starter out they said there had been recall we did not recieve this as soon as insurance wanted to inspect it the work was done immediatly ! Has anyone else had problem with handbrake failure?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 6th March 2018, 18:39

Is it the electric type brake?
If so, it just needs cleaning out and re-setting (balancing).

The starter motor cable is in a recall, depending on the model. Some models need a new cable, some need a new fixing nut.I think if the nut comes loose,it creates higher resistance and heat Edited by: chrisg

My wife says that I never listen or something like that !
2.2 diesel Diamond 63. Swift Challenger 580
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 6th March 2018, 18:39

Mine released on upward or downward slope so done as manual says about double clicking handbrake switch& seems ok now.

2012 antara 2.2 cdti exclusive 4x4 s/s pulling 2018 Elddis Avante 554
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 6th March 2018, 21:01

Hi len and welcome to the forum
I have to say I think the garage has not done there job correctly adjusting the handbrake
Going back to the type handbrake that you pull up when that was correctly adjusted you only pulled it up 3 clicks but as the handbrake worn or cable stretched handbrake would pull up 8 to 9 clicks
Now going back to the electric handbrake the motor on 1st pull of electric switch would be equivalent of the manual handbrakes of 3 clicks and the 2nd pull of electric switch would that up say another 3 to 5 clicks which would in turn take up any slack in drum shoes or cable thus handbrake has not been cleaned adjusted correctly
I would say show this link to the garage so they can clean out brake drum dust and adjust the handbrake correctly so the handbrake holds as it was designed to on one pull on the electric switch
Thanks to Victor for putting the correct information on the forum with pictures re handbrake adjustment

http://www.antaraownersclub.com/foru...topic3143.htmlEdited by: Bigjohnsparky

2012 Antara 2.2cdti 163ps Awd SE Nav Auto in Smokey eye Grey with light Titanium interior. With 19 full size matching spare.
Towing a Bailey Pegasus 554m.t.p.l.m. 1492kg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page