AWD Prioty - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 28th January 2018, 11:10 Thread Starter

awd Ok heres one for you all, imagine this I was curious to try the AWD on my Antara so I found this good looking dune bank to climb so got my lad to step out and record it so I could watch it later. so I approached the bank ready to climb next it stop I thought this strange so I put a little more throttle down nothing happened and just suddenly the only wheel to loose traction was my rear nearside non of the others span now my question is this. Does this mean it AWD stays on only at standstill or did it split power because I thought it only engages the rear wheels when it recognise the front wheels are loosing traction? just click on the blue highlighted box to see the video clip sorry about the sound quality.Edited by: Brough76

Antara 2.2cdti 185 Se 4x4 auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 28th January 2018, 12:38

I understand it to be intelligent 4WD, where the rear wheels cut in independently to suit traction requirements.

2015 2.2 CDTi SENav 163ps manual 4x4 in Carbon Flash with 19\" alloy spare towing a Bailey Unicorn III Madrid @ 1500kg.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 28th January 2018, 18:27

I'm not an authority on four wheel drives but as I understand it, the Antara uses the Toyota system for driving the rear axle and Dulac is spot on. The Antara has much the same system as the RAV4 except they had a button to engage AWD which held it in up to 25 mph then it would auto disconnect and go back to torque sensing. The latest ones have, in Toyota jargon, Dynamic Torque Control AWD which includes pre-engaging 10% drive to the rear drive for sharper response when you select the Sport button. Both have the same electronic control of the solenoid-operated rear axle drive.

I can't see on the video but wonder if you had the offside front wheel spinning. Remember you have a diff for the front wheels (in the front transaxle) and a diff for the rear wheels (in the rear axle) so either diff will allow one wheel to spin completely if it loses grip.

2015 Antara Exclusiv 2.2 163ps Manual 2WD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 28th January 2018, 18:57 Thread Starter

No the front wheels did not spin Victor but its interesting on how the system copes in this situation I reckon the Crokka probaly share this system as well and it does makes sense if it does shares the same system as the Toyota on pre engaging the drive

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 28th January 2018, 19:07 Thread Starter

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AvVZHb36Ky6jlGZwl2mW-UXBOALoThis was my second attempt no problems only just traction on my front nearsde but i was suprised on how it managed to haul its arse up there.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 29th January 2018, 10:40

That was a lot better, well done you and thanks for posting the vid! There must be a lot to throttle technique especially with the auto box (maybe it's easier with the auto box?). If those are 19" wheels with the skinnier tyres I'd imagine the smaller 17 or 18 inch wheels with bigger tyres miht be better.

Just remember to drop your tyre pressures down to about 7 psi if you're going rock crawling

2015 Antara Exclusiv 2.2 163ps Manual 2WD
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 29th January 2018, 12:47
Groupie

Interesting video, thanks for posting. The awd looks quite capable. I should try something similar in my 2.0 l and compare with yours

2009 se 4wd auto 122000 miles diesel 2.0l. Tungsten with baseball red leather

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page