Bad fuel economy 2006 diesel 2ltr s - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12th January 2018, 19:55 Thread Starter

I used to get around 28mpg but it then reduced to 17 -22mpg.
Put in clean oil and filters and still only get 21mpg.
Took it to Vaux-care Birkenhead and they re- set the ECU but could not find anything wrong.

I am sure I read on this site some one else had a similar problem and advised the sensor on the cooling fan could be faulty and the engine could be running cool.

I have noticed,even in cold weather that the fan is operating more,something it rarely used to do in summer when towing the caravan 350 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12th January 2018, 22:12

Hi MichaelJ and welcome to the Antara forum. Running too cold will certainly affect your fuel consumption and the Antara not having a temperature gauge doesn't help/ Try plugging in a cheap scan tool, they'll often give you the engine temperature otherwise have a look through the forum using the search box for coolant sensor. See also
http://www.antaraownersclub.com/foru...topic2309.html

<!--if gte mso 9>
<w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156">
</w:LatentStyles>
<!--><!--if gte mso 10>

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0cm;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-ansi-language:#0400;
mso-fareast-language:#0400;
mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

<!-->

2015 Antara Exclusiv 2.2 163ps Manual 2WD
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 13th January 2018, 14:05

Does the car have a DPF? If so, it sounds like it is doing frequent regens (using excessive fuel, fan running, etc.) Have you tried a 20 mile trip down the motorway, in 4th at about 2300 rpm - the so-called 'Italian tune-up'?

2015 2.2 CDTi SENav 163ps manual 4x4 in Carbon Flash with 19\" alloy spare towing a Bailey Unicorn III Madrid @ 1500kg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 13th January 2018, 19:48 Thread Starter

Hi Dulac, yes took it up an down the 53 and light went off, two days later back on after 50 miles
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 13th January 2018, 20:30

Hi Michaelj
Welcome to the forum
May be a sticking EGR valve or wiring fault to valve regens are normally about every 500 miles or your your exhaust DPF is blocked and can not clear the soot build up or poss a faulty pre or post sensor on the exhaust DPF
These are the 1st things I would be looking at.

2012 Antara 2.2cdti 163ps Awd SE Nav Auto in Smokey eye Grey with light Titanium interior. With 19 full size matching spare.
Towing a Bailey Pegasus 554m.t.p.l.m. 1492kg
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 13th January 2018, 20:35

Have a look at the link Victor posted under DPF on early Antara may be of interest

http://www.antaraownersclub.com/forum/dpf-on-early-antara_topic3652.htmlEdited by: Bigjohnsparky

2012 Antara 2.2cdti 163ps Awd SE Nav Auto in Smokey eye Grey with light Titanium interior. With 19 full size matching spare.
Towing a Bailey Pegasus 554m.t.p.l.m. 1492kg
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 13th January 2018, 20:38

Michaelj, assuming that the DPF is the root of your problem - or just one of several - there is a load of members' info' concerning the DPF on this forum. Taking it into account I've come to the view (and I might be wrong here) that quite a few owners have ignored the DPF regen process when acquiring an Antara from new and have then got rid of the car when the time (e.g. three years) is up. The next owner then inherits the problem and either also ignores it, or tries to do something about it. It is very tempting to use a car for a couple of miles there and a couple of miles back, five days a week but this must be avoided or trouble will ensue. A DPF that has been ignored will eventually be filled with soot that will be impracticable to clean out and a new DPF will be required at a considerable expense. There are firms about who can clean a unit, but not one that is significantly fouled and I see that you can expect to pay around £200 for a special clean. There was a member on this site (under the name of 'Curlytops') who made a series of posts about how he had the innards of his DPF removed professionally and he was good enough to report on the performance afterwards; I recall it went very well indeed and made a few of us think and say to **** with emission controls and legislation, etc. You might choose to use the Search facility and set aside a few hours for a read-up!

2015 2.2 CDTi SENav 163ps manual 4x4 in Carbon Flash with 19\" alloy spare towing a Bailey Unicorn III Madrid @ 1500kg.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 14th January 2018, 19:48 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply,I will certainly read on,the only advantage at the moment is the acceleration seems to have improved.

Don't think I have done too badly in 50.000 miles but as you say,a lot of that is short trips on Asdafuel.!!!!!!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 14th January 2018, 19:49 Thread Starter

Big John, thanks for your comments I will check it out.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 15th January 2018, 15:05

I've got a 2009 cdti auto, I Knew nothing about DPF when i bought it about 3 years ago and do short and longer journeys. had similar probs which appeared to be getting worse. Last year I needed new rear exhaust and at same time it was found that the flexi joint was holed, this was also replaced, since then situation has improved and recently car did a the first regen I've noticed in ages on checking trip meter it showed 498 miles, I think I reset it after last DPF clean. Car wouldn't regen on a run on motorway but would start almost as soon as I left m/way, I now think the hole has let in cooler air or upset air mixture on m/way stopping a regen. Worth checking as there was no obvious hole in the flexi until it was taken off during exhaust change. mines done about 85000 and I do like it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page