DPF Question - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 20th December 2017, 20:53 Thread Starter

Hi all, so the last 2 times I have come home after a motorway run the mpg had dropped to 7mpg and when I switched off the fan stayed on for about 30 seconds each time, as a motorway run only has the engine labouring at about 1800 revs I figured a DPF clean was in progress but had not completed although no warning lights were on, so today I did 45 minutes on the motorway in 5 gear so keeping the engine at around 2500 revs, did I do right or was I wasting my time?

2012 2.2 Diesel automatic SE Nav 184bhp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 20th December 2017, 21:29
SJG

You did it right, the DPF would still regenerate at 1800 rpm as long as your journey was long enough but higher revs create more heat so I am sure gives a better clean.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 20th December 2017, 21:31

Hi Smidsy
In one sense one would say yes you have done right
But when I here my fans running on when switch off I know it's trying to do a regen but just carry on driving as normal my light has only come on once in nearly 2 years and then I drove from a249 onto m2 junction 5 towards Canterbury keeping revs above 2000 light had gone off before I got to junction 6. I don't like the idea of wasting fuel and time just to do a regen I only act when light comes on but fans let me know when it's trying to complete a regen. Normally about every 500 miles some members reset there BC and keep check on miles done. That's not for me just drive enjoy your Antara and as long as you are aware of the regen cycle and what it does and how to run a regen cycle you should be ok
Regens become a problem for people who only do short trips school run round to local shops etc as this will not achieve a full regen cycle. If you are going up and down the motorways a regen will come and go without you even knowing it's done one unless your watching the mpg display Edited by: Bigjohnsparky

2012 Antara 2.2cdti 163ps Awd SE Nav Auto in Smokey eye Grey with light Titanium interior. With 19 full size matching spare.
Towing a Bailey Pegasus 554m.t.p.l.m. 1492kg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 21st December 2017, 21:23 Thread Starter

Thanks all, most of my runs are up and the M2 to SE London and back again, very rare to do a journey under 20 miles..

2012 2.2 Diesel automatic SE Nav 184bhp
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 22nd December 2017, 21:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smidsy
Thanks all, most of my runs are up and the M2 to SE London and back again, very rare to do a journey under 20 miles..
I would enjoy driving and when you hear fans running after switched off next journey on motorway just keep lower gear to maintain 2000 rpm and you should never see the regen light come on and fans should stop on switch off after you have done a journey you was doing anyway Edited by: Bigjohnsparky

2012 Antara 2.2cdti 163ps Awd SE Nav Auto in Smokey eye Grey with light Titanium interior. With 19 full size matching spare.
Towing a Bailey Pegasus 554m.t.p.l.m. 1492kg
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 23rd December 2017, 00:01

when I collected my antara new,4 years ago,i was told to keep the revs at 2000 to clear the filer when on a regen.This I do and have never seen a warning light or had any issues with the filter.

My wife says that I never listen or something like that !
2.2 diesel Diamond 63. Swift Challenger 580
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 28th December 2017, 18:16

I use Trip B to record the start of a regen and watch for it reaching 510 miles which seems to be when mine starts a regen. I confirm this when the MPG meter stops registering 999.9 on overrun and then just select a lower gear and drive for about 10-15 minutes. In three years and 15000 miles I have never seen any light at all to tell me something is wrong but I am quite particular and know when it is going to occur. I also use a dpf cleaner in the fuel tank every 3-4000 miles due to the infrequent use of my Antara throughout the winter months as over the summer months it tows a caravan. My other car is a SKODA Superb and I have never yet managed to work out a regen routine with it but then it has covered 23000 miles in 6 months of mainly motorway miles so I guess the carbon build up in the dpf differs immensely from the Antara.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 28th December 2017, 19:15

If a regen gets interrupted by switching off it seems to be very unpredictable when, or whether, it will try to complete it. Sometimes it will restart as soon as it gets hot, sometimes up to 100 miles later, sometimes it will not restart and waits the full 500 miles for the next scheduled one. I suspect that it depends on how close to finishing it was, and whether it started by schedule or because the DPF was getting full.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 28th December 2017, 20:47

Like Colin, I use the dash mounted trip mileometer (A&B) resetting them in turn every time a regen occurs. Mine are normally around 514 miles apart. However, I have stopped worrying about changing my driving style when a regen has started and just drive normally. This could be in start stop traffic or on a run. I have found that in normal traffic conditions, a regen completes in around 6 miles whereas on the motorway, it can take between 15-20 miles. I always make sure they complete (instant consumption goes back to 999.99 coasting) and have never had a warning light come on.
So whilst they are a pain in the a*^e and knacker fuel consumption, they can be managed quite easily.

2013 SE Nav 184 Auto
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 29th December 2017, 07:31

Screwball, I think to get one to complete in 6 miles in stop start town driving is more likely to mean its not doing a full job and eventually you will get the flahing DPF light and the chimes to tell you to do one pronto.

2015 Antara 2.2 Exclusiv 2WD Manual 163 ps Carbon Black

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page