Winter Driving Tips - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11th December 2017, 20:38 Thread Starter

Have you got any favourite winter driving tips? I suppose it depends on whether you're in the city or out in the sticks but here's a couple of mine.

1. If you're giving another car a jump start learn which way round and in which sequence to connect the cables. If you get it wrong you can cause serious electrical damage to your car.

2. Take advantage of the slippery roads to exercise your ABS braking system. Find a quiet stretch of road or an empty car park with a slippery surface, take the car up to about 10 to 15 mph and press the brakes hard which will bring on the ABS. You'll hear the pump running and the brake pedal will pulse up and down, and it will probably make a bit of noise while it's doing all this

The point is to get fresh brake fluid through the ABS unit, including the pump and valves which otherwise just sit static if you normally just brake sensibly.

2015 Antara Exclusiv 2.2 163ps Manual 2WD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11th December 2017, 20:40 Thread Starter

If you're not sure how ABS wiorks then this picture might help:

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12th December 2017, 00:44

2015 Antara 2.2 Exclusiv 2WD Manual 163 ps Carbon Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 13th December 2017, 09:48

Very good Victor

2012 Antara 2.2cdti 163ps Awd SE Nav Auto in Smokey eye Grey with light Titanium interior. With 19 full size matching spare.
Towing a Bailey Pegasus 554m.t.p.l.m. 1492kg
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 13th December 2017, 09:53

Yes my winter driving tip is if you not sure about driving in bad conditions don't there's enough drivers who don't drive to the conditions of the road it may not even be your fault but some other idiots driving.
The amount of drivers who don't even have the sense to turn there lights on in heavy rain let alone snow

2012 Antara 2.2cdti 163ps Awd SE Nav Auto in Smokey eye Grey with light Titanium interior. With 19 full size matching spare.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 13th December 2017, 13:20 Thread Starter

+ 1 for the above but have to admit "light crime". We get a lot of really dark overcast days in December and I was driving the wife's Toyota the other day when a car passed me and turned their lights on and off a couple of times. First thought maybe the rear fog light was on so I asked her where the switch was but from the blank look I might s well have been talking Swahili. Turns out I had no lights on but the car has LED DRL's on it and the instrument panel is partially ulluminated with the ignition. So, need to smarten up a bit in future.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 13th December 2017, 17:29

Hi VictorMuch appreciated,especially on the ABS regarding the static brake fluid.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 13th December 2017, 18:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor
+ 1 for the above but have to admit "light crime". We get a lot of really dark overcast days in December and I was driving the wife's Toyota the other day when a car passed me and turned their lights on and off a couple of times. First thought maybe the rear fog light was on so I asked her where the switch was* but from the blank look I might s well have been talking Swahili. Turns out I had no lights on but the car has LED DRL's on it and the instrument panel is partially ulluminated with the ignition. So, need to smarten up a bit in future.*
Think DLRS will be fitted to the rear of cars in years to come

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 13th December 2017, 21:34 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta1
Hi VictorMuch appreciated,especially on the ABS regarding the static brake fluid.
Happy to pass it on Delta1

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 13th December 2017, 21:37 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjohnsparky
[Think DLRS will be fitted to the rear of cars in years to come
We've already got them, they're called high level brake lights, realy handy for getting rid of tailgaters and ppl with cheap Ebay HID poorly aligned headlights sitting behind you at night.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page