Electrical burn out. - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 8th November 2017, 09:44 Thread Starter

Hi All
I don't know if any of you spotted my newbie post. But the Antara I've just purchased from a main dealer went up in smoke 7 hours and 40miles in to taking it home. The dealer rang me yesterday to tell me that it was the starter cable. From what I can gather it has had the mod done. I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else, as I'm not sure about keeping the vehicle, but it's only done 14k and looks great🤔

Antara 2.2 Exclusive 64 plate.
Grey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 8th November 2017, 10:22

The starter cable is subject to a formal recall by the UK government and is headed 'possibility of fire'. It is a recognised defect and easily resolved. I seem to recall that the recall was originally in two stages: one being the nut and washer and the other being an improvement to the cable insulation. Here is the link:

https://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/rec...k&tx=0.5809442

Note that it applies only to certain vehicles and on the face of it yours falls within that category. Vauxhall UK - not necessarily the dealers - keeps a record of what vehicles have had recalls carried out. In the event of any problem in resolving the issue it might be worthwhile contacting Customer Care in writing to report what has happened, in detail and with a couple of photographs. Keep us all posted on developments. In the meantime I suggest that the problem initially lies with the dealer you bought the car from, so leave well alone and hope that you will soon be restored to the position you were in before the event.

I have to say that the later Antaras seem to offer very good value for money, but they are no good as a city runaround or regular supermarket/school run tripper.

2015 2.2 CDTi SENav 163ps manual 4x4 in Carbon Flash with 19\" alloy spare towing a Bailey Unicorn III Madrid @ 1500kg.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 8th November 2017, 13:16 Thread Starter

Cheers Dulac
The dealer is dealing with it at the moment. Sounds like what's happened. Good job it was in the city and not on the motorway. Loss of electrics and power in the outside lane. Smoke filled car and trying to get the kids out doesn't care thinking about.
I'm waiting to see now what the car is like after they repair it.
I do a 50 mile round trip to work in the week and a lot of that is motorway so hopefully that will keep the fuel economy up a bit.

Antara 2.2 Exclusive 64 plate.
Grey

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page