Surprise Alternative - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 23rd October 2017, 10:27 Thread Starter

Well I've just come across the Renault Koleos on Exmouth quay, looks surprisingly nice, just had a quick look at Renault website it's a 2 ltr 175 bhp. A bit expensive new but I would imagine you could get some good 2nd hand deals! I've had 3 Renaults previously all brand new and although they weren't spectacular they were reliable and well built, the newer models seem really well put together.

2.2cdti 2WD EXC, placid grey with side steps & SE wheels. I love my car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 23rd October 2017, 16:53

The Koleos is supposed to be a bit of a hidden gem, it's a re-badged Nissan X-trail since Renault has a controlling interest in Nissan. I hope they don't try to "improve" it with some Gallic designs, especially the CVT box which Nissan makes pretty well.

Have to wonder sometimes about Renault's marketing strategy. Why introduce a model which is in direct competition with one of your partner's cars? Shades of the old Morris, Austin, Riley, MG and Wolesleys all competing with each other under BMC / British Leyland

2015 Antara Exclusiv 2.2 163ps Manual 2WD
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 23rd October 2017, 18:01

Very expensive, very French, not great on fuel, the larger and more thristy and expensive engine may be ok but the 1.6 engine is a slouch, oh also did I say it was very French???On the plus side its a decent looking car, but I would opt for the X-Trail if I wanted a car like this. But as I don't have that sort of cash to waste on a French car I will stick with the Antara ... Having suffered as part of the crew with numerous electrical failures due to lousy French electrics and awful ergonomics (ok so it was in the Eurocopter Twin Squirrel, but trust me it focuses the mind when you get engine fire lights due to lousy connections !) I would not go near anything that was built by the French... Is that racist ?

Edited by: volrider

2015 Antara 2.2 Exclusiv 2WD Manual 163 ps Carbon Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 23rd October 2017, 19:18

The Eiffel Tower and their fresh bread ain't bad, but Brexit is certainly making me think twice before parting with my cash and I'll keep it in the UK - or out of Europe - whenever there is a choice. Just read the labels. Try and buy Prosecco or sherry in a French supermarket!

2015 2.2 CDTi SENav 163ps manual 4x4 in Carbon Flash with 19\" alloy spare towing a Bailey Unicorn III Madrid @ 1500kg.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 23rd October 2017, 20:44

We had to deal with the French Turbomeca Astazou XViD engine for some of our customers and the French made no concesions to English on labelling engine systems Arrete for Stop, Demarrage for Start and Drapeau for Feather as examples. Same with threads, customer had had to get special pipes made up with AF unions one side and metric the other. They were technically brilliant - on paper at least - around 1,000 shaft horse power with a consumption of less that .5 lbs fuel per shaft horsepower per hour, a figure that still looks good today.

Incidentally on the Eurocopter, I recall seeing a very early one that had holes at the tip of each blade where some of the turbine exhaust bled off. Scary that, got no idea how or if it worked.

Edited by: Victor

2015 Antara Exclusiv 2.2 163ps Manual 2WD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page