Best Car Polish - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 9th October 2017, 21:41 Thread Starter

I bought a tin of Simoniz out of Tesco when they had it for sale at half price and tried it at the weekend. It's been years since I used it and it really is hard work after the other liquid polishes. You have to apply it to small areas at a time and you don't wait until it dries, you have to go straight on and polish it off. Must say it still gives the classic water bead effect and looks quite good but there's easier ways.

Found some tar spots on the front doors and still have to get them off. I've been told WD40 is the stuff to use, is that the best?

2015 Antara Exclusiv 2.2 163ps Manual 2WD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 9th October 2017, 21:51

I use auto glym resin polish wipe on wipe off no effort.
Yep can't beat fish oil (wd40) as will not damage the paintwork.
Also good to neutralise bird lime

2012 Antara 2.2cdti 163ps Awd SE Nav Auto in Smokey eye Grey with light Titanium interior. With 19 full size matching spare.
Towing a Bailey Pegasus 554m.t.p.l.m. 1492kg
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 9th October 2017, 23:49 Thread Starter

I've used turtle Wax for years BJS, it's a good lazy man's polish too. I had some Auto Glym in a bottle, don't know where it came from and used it on the wheels, must say the next time I came to wash them the brake dust etc just floated off them no problem. I'll use the WD40 then, just have to wash it all off thoroughly before I re-polish.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10th October 2017, 06:46

Since I tried auto glym resin polish that's all I use motor. WheelsAnd even the caravan took all wheels off cleaned all the crap off removed centre caps and polished both sides then refitted centre caps with a bit of silicone before refitting them. my wheels are only just showing very minor corrosion

2012 Antara 2.2cdti 163ps Awd SE Nav Auto in Smokey eye Grey with light Titanium interior. With 19 full size matching spare.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10th October 2017, 11:48 Thread Starter

Think I'll stick with the Simoniz though, I've just realised that it's actually saving me time. Putting it on with one hand and poplishing it off with the other gets my karate training done at the same time
Think I'll check out Tesco and see if they're still selling it half price and stock up, keep a 'drity tin for the wheels and a clean tin for the bodywork.

While I'm there see if they're still selling off engine oil at half price, £6 for two litres of fully synthetic C3 own brand - that would do the Antara fine for an intermediate oil change along with a filter and keep the engine innards clean.

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10th October 2017, 13:48
Groupie

Not criticising any of the choices above (I have used Autoglym Resin Polish and it is fine) but it should be noted that there is a difference between polish and wax as regard to what they achieve.

All polishes (?) are somewhat abrasive and their job is to remove the fine coating of dirt on the clearcoat laquer that is applied to the matt paintwork underneath . Some also contain fillers which will conceal fine scratches (but only until the next wash). They provide a limited amount of protection to the paintwork overall.

Wax on the other hand does not as such remove the dirt but does provide a protection layer that will last for several months if applied properly. I use wax in preference to polish and specifically use Meguiars Gold Class Paste Wax. This is expensive if purchased here but I get mine in the USA when we are over there visiting our daughter (£33.49 against $11.00).
My cleaning regime is that about once a year I will clay the car using a clay bar and detailing fluid (or soapy water). This will remove all the embedded dirt particles and other muck in the paintwork. This only takes around half an hour for the whole car. Alternative use a polish such as Autoglym, but this will not remove the truly embedded particles. Once done the paintwork will be as smooth as glass. I then apply one or two coats of the wax. This will last about 6 months and in between I use Meguiars Quick Detailer and Meguiars Ultimate Quick Wax to top up the protection and to remove any tree resin, bird lime etc etc when needed on the weekly wash. This will also retain the water beading and repellant effect.

Of course you pays your money and you takes your choice and as stated I am certainly not knocking any of the other products mentioned, this is purely my cleaning regime.

2015 SENav Auto in Stormtrooper white
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10th October 2017, 16:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman
Not criticising any of the choices above (I have used Autoglym Resin Polish and it is fine) but it should be noted that there is a difference between polish and wax as regard to what they achieve.

All polishes (?) are somewhat abrasive and their job is to remove the fine coating of dirt on the clearcoat laquer that is applied to the matt paintwork underneath . Some also contain fillers which will conceal fine scratches (but only until the next wash). They provide a limited amount of protection to the paintwork overall.

Wax on the other hand does not as such remove the dirt but does provide a protection layer that will last for several months if applied properly. I use wax in preference to polish and specifically use Meguiars Gold Class Paste Wax. This is expensive if purchased here but I get mine in the USA when we are over there visiting our daughter (£33.49 against $11.00).
My cleaning regime is that about once a year I will clay the car using a clay bar and detailing fluid (or soapy water). This will remove all the embedded dirt particles and other muck* in the paintwork. This only takes around half an hour for the whole car. Alternative use a polish such as Autoglym, but this will not remove the truly embedded particles. Once done the paintwork will be as smooth as glass. I then apply one or two coats of the wax. This will last about 6 months and in between I use Meguiars Quick Detailer and Meguiars Ultimate Quick Wax to top up the protection and to remove any tree resin, bird lime etc etc when needed on the weekly wash. This will also retain the water beading and repellant effect.

Of course you pays your money and you takes your choice and as stated I am certainly not knocking any of the other products mentioned, this is purely my cleaning regime.
Yep make you right on polish and wax

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10th October 2017, 17:17 Thread Starter

I admire your dedication Wingman with the claybar and all that and point well taken about when you polish metallic finishes you're only polishing a very thin coat of clear lacquer. That's quite a difference in price for the Meguire's £33.49 against something like $11 .... Rip-Off Britain right enough.

Don't know how you react if someone leaves a ding or a big scrape on your car after doing all that, we seem to collect quite a few so. I don't go postal about it, just look for the chance to get even if I think I know who it was. Parking spaces are so darn tight these days it's no wonder (well, that and the general fall in driving standards).

Yesterday I was out with my gleaming Antara, there was a light shower of rain and then I drove past a building site where someone was using a Stihl saw cutting up cement slabs. Huge clouds of dust so when I came out the other side I reckon I've now got a very fine coat of cement over mine. Oh well, that'll keep me busy over next weekend.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10th October 2017, 18:32

Bit drastic Victor cement blasting your paintwork

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10th October 2017, 19:23 Thread Starter

Always did say the Antara was a pretty solid looking car

Could be worse, could be Rail Dust <!--if gte mso 9>
<w:Word>
<w:View>Normal</w:View>
<w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>
<w:Punctuati&#111;nKerning/>
<w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/>
<w:SaveIfInvalid>false</w:SaveIfInvalid>
<w:IgnoreMixed>false</w:IgnoreMixed>
<w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>
<w:Compatibility>
<w:BreakWrappedTables/>
<w:SnapToGridInCell/>
<w:WrapTextWithPunct/>
<w:UseAsianBreakRules/>
<w&#111;ntGrowAutofit/>
</w:Compatibility>
<w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel>
</w:Word>
<!-->http://www.antaraownersclub.com/foru...topic2560.html<!--if gte mso 9>
<w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156">
</w:LatentStyles>
<!--><!--if gte mso 10>

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0cm;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-ansi-language:#0400;
mso-fareast-language:#0400;
mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

<!-->

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page