The Best Car I have Owned? - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 20th September 2017, 10:23 Thread Starter

Well is it? I have to say in my 10 months of ownership and close on 8,000 miles I do like this car.Ok bad bits, yes it regens which can be a pain, I had a few months of stuttering constant regens but a replacement EGR valve fixed that (I hope) and the last few weeks have reinforced my view that this IS the best car I have driven, the power from the 2.2 is immense the car is reasonably economical when used for mixed driving. If you are using it just to potter about town not only will you get poor fuel economy you will do you engine no favours, get it onto the open road and she sits comfortably sipping fuel and runs like a dream.
The cabin is comfy and well equipped without too many gizmos that keep your eyes in the cabin rather than outside. The cabin can have the odd rattles and creaks and the suspension keeps you awake with its firmness over the bumps. But thats all part of the character of this beast.
The car looks different from the crowd, with its rugged looks rather than the sleek could be any make SUV that adorns our roads. A bit like the Russian airliners, rugged with a look of being able to do its job with little fuss.
I have added a few extras, cruise control and getting the trip computer activated are essentials I believe. I also use Millers Ecomax diesel additive with every fill up of fuel just to keep things clean.
Overall may not be the best car I have owned (yet) but give me 12 months of issue free motoring and it may well be, however it is the best car I have driven

Edited by: volrider

2015 Antara 2.2 Exclusiv 2WD Manual 163 ps Carbon Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 20th September 2017, 11:22

In terms of driving position, power, usefulness, ground clearance and towing ability I couldn't agree more. The chain driven cam is a bonus and the analogy with a Russian airliner is spot-on. Yes, some of the other manufacturers' equivalents might have fancier interiors and even more electronics but they are all 30 - 100% more expensive to buy in the first instance. A pal of mine has a BMW x5 and he won't even put a fishing rod in it in case he marks the interior - very useful indeed!
Yes, genuine Vauxhall servicing can be expensive but then so is everyone else's: sometimes you just have to pay up rather than scratch around for a cheap (that is cheap and second-rate as opposed to inexpensive) deal. It took me a long time to learn that lesson.

2015 2.2 CDTi SENav 163ps manual 4x4 in Carbon Flash with 19\" alloy spare towing a Bailey Unicorn III Madrid @ 1500kg.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 20th September 2017, 13:22

The Antara has certainly been the most "bang for my buck" that I've bought new. I quite agree about the driving position etc and the general fit and finish, also mines has been completely free from any rattles, knocks or squeaks from day one. It could be improved in certain areas especially giving it a temperature gauge and a manual handbrake instead of the electric one which I still don't like. The internal motion sensors for the alarm are troublesome, I turned mines off when it was a couple of months old and never turned them back on again 'cos I can't be bothered with it going off if you lock the car up too quick or lock it with windows left open on windy days etc.The gear change isn't too great especially from cold but you get used to it. I don't think the transmission is especially strong, especially for all whell drive and auto models judging from members posts on here and spares are very expensive. If it was still sold I'd probably buy another one because there's nothing else that compares. Dacia Sandero - no thanks.

2015 Antara Exclusiv 2.2 163ps Manual 2WD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 20th September 2017, 14:11

Can honestly say this is the most fun car I have ever owned, (i was lucky enough to find an SE for sale when i was looking for a new (second hand) car), but then i said that about my Cavaliers back in the 80's so maybe I have a Vauxhall fetish! one thing i did note, that compared to my brother in laws 134bhp Rav 4 with 74k miles, my 184bhp Antara with 48k Miles is noisy, is that normal just because it is that much more powerful, because it is so much more powerful than the Rav and much more exciting to drive.. dont regret buying it one bit, that may change when the insurance is up for renewal in December!!!

2012 2.2 Diesel automatic SE Nav 184bhp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page