Help/Advice for new owner please - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12th September 2017, 22:18 Thread Starter

Hi guys hopefully you can help here. Recently bought an Antara privately on Gumtree as my girlfriend is pregnant and due very soon, so we needed a bigger family car with 5 doors/boot space etc. I bought a 61 plate 2.2 CDTI 4x4 16v Exclusiv with 56,000 miles. The car drove fine when I test drove it around the guys street and neighbourhood. The car looks good on paper with only 2 owners and Full Service History, and a clear MOT in May. It has been in some kind of bump as the front bumper is slightly misaligned but that didn't bother me. Car is HPI clear.
The seller lives locally so never noticed any problem until I took it on the motorway the following day. It just seems too sluggish compared to another I test drove at a used car dealership with the same engine and spec. I can be doing 40 in 4th gear with the pedal to the floor, and it's not pulling, just slowly building speed. Sometimes going up hills in second it loses power.

There's just an issue there. Possibly a long shot joining here and apologies for the novice explanation, but I was hoping it might be something common that someone else has experienced. I should mention when I accelerate there's a strange airy noise, like a hissing coming from somewhere at the front of the car, almost sounds like a fan, I don't know if this related to the lack of power. Only while accelerating and increasing speed. I've had it checked by 2 mechanics who say it's fine but I don't have much faith in them.

Any help greatly appreciated as if I can't rectify it I'll be sending it to auction for loss, and money is already tight at the moment. Not that I'm worried about how fast the car can go, but if there's a serious fault there I don't want us involved in it.

Cheers,
Ross

Edited by: Rorschach
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12th September 2017, 22:27

Might be turbo related, pipe or something.
I'm not aware of any intrinsic power fault on the Antara.

My wife says that I never listen or something like that !
2.2 diesel Diamond 63. Swift Challenger 580
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12th September 2017, 22:57

Sounds like it could be the intercooler duct which runs on the R/H side of the engine to the throttle box. intake.It's possible it was damaged during the accident.

2015 Antara Exclusiv 2.2 163ps Manual 2WD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12th September 2017, 23:18 Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. It certainly feels like it could be turbo related. As for the intercooler duct being damaged in a bump, how would that affect power? Thanks again.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12th September 2017, 23:37

You would lose turbo boost (air) pressure through the leaking duct.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12th September 2017, 23:46 Thread Starter

That sounds like what could be happening. I'll mention it to my mechanic. Much appreciated.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 13th September 2017, 20:55 Thread Starter

Hi again guys I've recorded a video to better explain the noise I'm hearing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sE71Wr-fmU

Blowing air with every rev.

Also my DPF Filter light appeared on today which I hear is common, but I'm wondering if it is related to my current problem...

Edited by: Rorschach
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 13th September 2017, 22:05

I had a look at your Utube video, it's difficult to tell but the engine sounds a bit flat and gutless. Have you checked the duct from the intercooler, especially where it connects to the throttle box intake, they're known to come loose and leak there. For info I've attached a pic showing the duct (red arrows) the yellow arrow shows the area where it attaches to the throttle box.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page