Alloy wheel marking - refurb or clean? Advice pls! - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 1st September 2017, 16:59 Thread Starter

When I bought the wheels second hand there was slight marking on them, but it seems to have got worse with time, like its spread (the browner patched areas)....could it be because when I wash them the wheel is reacting to something in the cleaning process?

Wondering if I need to have the wheel refurbed professionally or its something I can have a go at it. Anyone else experienced the same?

Jase
Now a Grandland X Owner, formerly an Antara 2.2 CDTi (2012) in Stormtrooper White owner. But don\'t hate me for it!! Lol
https://www.grandlandforums.co.uk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 1st September 2017, 17:25

Looks like they have been cleaned with something like wonder wheels that is acidic and it has got under the lacquer. I would go for a refurb,but thats my preference.Edited by: chrisg

My wife says that I never listen or something like that !
2.2 diesel Diamond 63. Swift Challenger 580
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 1st September 2017, 17:49

I agree with chrisg. You can get an Isopon repair kit in Halfords for £22, for four wheels, but it is intended for rim scuffs and small areas - and you will still probably see the repair. Leave it to the professionals but buy some Premium Bonds beforehand! I believe you can still buy the Vauxhall hub badges and other models might fit as well if you measure the diameter accurately.

2015 2.2 CDTi SENav 163ps manual 4x4 in Carbon Flash with 19\" alloy spare towing a Bailey Unicorn III Madrid @ 1500kg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 2nd September 2017, 00:22

I bought a set of the SE 19" for my exclusive off eBay, I had them powder coated for £25 a wheel about 2 1/2 years ago and they still look the mutts!! Powder coat everyday, don't have them faced up as that always peels, remove tyre and powder coat properly!! Keep us all posted.

2.2cdti 2WD EXC, placid grey with side steps & SE wheels. I love my car
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 2nd September 2017, 00:37
Super Moderator

Thats the norm for the 19" on the SE. The center cap rubs the lacquer and water eventually get in.

I had the first set refurbished by Vauxhall and they only lasted 6 months until it started again.

I would either powder coat or refurb and spray rather than diamond cutting again.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 3rd September 2017, 21:25

Powder coat all the time shop about to get the best price

2012 Antara 2.2cdti 163ps Awd SE Nav Auto in Smokey eye Grey with light Titanium interior. With 19 full size matching spare.
Towing a Bailey Pegasus 554m.t.p.l.m. 1492kg
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 3rd September 2017, 21:33
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjohnsparky
Powder coat all the time shop about to get the best price
I was talking to a guy that did dent and smart repairs and he said he would never get or recommend powder coating to refurbish alloys. Due to the heat treatment used it makes the alloys brittle and too easy to crack or break if you hit a curb or pot hole.

Who know what to do for the best.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 4th September 2017, 10:34 Thread Starter

Thanks folks, I'll have a look round for quotes in my area, not sure how much this might be but...

Interesting to hear that this style of VX wheels suffers from this, I wondered if it was something I had done (or not done).

Jase
Now a Grandland X Owner, formerly an Antara 2.2 CDTi (2012) in Stormtrooper White owner. But don\'t hate me for it!! Lol
https://www.grandlandforums.co.uk
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 4th September 2017, 10:52

No I would say nothing you have done. just pizz poor workmanship Jase

2012 Antara 2.2cdti 163ps Awd SE Nav Auto in Smokey eye Grey with light Titanium interior. With 19 full size matching spare.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 4th September 2017, 11:31

Think these are the centre caps but Iam at work so you need to measure the centre hole on wheel. Caps just pull out off the wheel use something plastic like a trim removing tool so not to do more damage

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162649695794

Good luck Jase

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page