Humming - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 30th June 2017, 17:00 Thread Starter

Recently the car made a humming noise at exactly 2000rpm in 4th, 5th and 6th under load on the motorway. Just had a 2nd year service by VX and they test drove it to check, with nothing found. Since the service the car feels more responsive to the throttle and the humming has gone. It might be that it now picks up a lot quicker from the 2000 mark and is probably something to do with my driving style. Other 2 litre diesel Peugeots I had before used to pull away in higher gears at lower revs; the Antara performs quite differently at low revs but seems to have a better top end at speed. The YouTube footage of an Antara running flat out on an autobahn is interesting.

2015 2.2 CDTi SENav 163ps manual 4x4 in Carbon Flash with 19\" alloy spare towing a Bailey Unicorn III Madrid @ 1500kg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 30th June 2017, 17:23

I'm wondering if the increased the tyre pressures?

My wife says that I never listen or something like that !
2.2 diesel Diamond 63. Swift Challenger 580
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 30th June 2017, 18:15

Could simply be the tyre pressures as Chris says but did they change the air filter? Don't think the air filter element would make any difference to the noise but top half of air filter housing might not have been properly located in the bottom half.

Had a look at the Antara on the Autobahn, over 220 Km/H which is 120 mph plus but that's only indicated speed. Took a screenshot of the fuel readout, anyone speak German?

2015 Antara Exclusiv 2.2 163ps Manual 2WD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 30th June 2017, 21:04 Thread Starter

Victor, I seem to recall that the one I saw was a RHD with mph on the speedo. It went from a virtual standing start to flat out (around 120+) and I guess the driver had a headcam and good brakes. It brought home how dangerous these speeds are for a slight mistake on anyone's part. (Visions of the murderous scything engine in that 1950s Grand Prix). Yes, around 70mph seems fine to me.

The air filter was changed, so you might be right. Chrisg - a good point but I do keep a check on the pressures anyway for towing. Unless perhaps my gauge isn't accurate.

2015 2.2 CDTi SENav 163ps manual 4x4 in Carbon Flash with 19\" alloy spare towing a Bailey Unicorn III Madrid @ 1500kg.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 30th June 2017, 21:06
Groupie

I have to say mine has always had a slight vibration/ humming noise at 2k revs. 60mph in 5th and 70mph in 6th. I found the heat shield over the exhaust was loose but I fixed that and it still happens. The remap didn't fix it either so I just automatically change gear down to avoid it. But if anyone has found the true solution I would appreciate it?

2013 163 SE Nav 4x4 manual
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 30th June 2017, 21:07 Thread Starter

In fact it was Le Mans in 1955: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEk85gKJN6k

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 30th June 2017, 21:09

Reichweite = Reach which I guess is rangeVerbrauch = average Consumption = 21mpg
Momentanverber = instant consumption?? I think = 15mpg

Re tyres yep that would be it, re pick up over 2k yes I find that below its quite docile over 2k she moves along quite well

2015 Antara 2.2 Exclusiv 2WD Manual 163 ps Carbon Black
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 30th June 2017, 21:27
Groupie

This defo not tyres. I change tyre pressure all the time for towing. Its done it for 20k miles since I bought it. Towing or not. Also changed tyres and nothing has improved it.

2013 163 SE Nav 4x4 manual
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 30th June 2017, 22:12

Some of us oldies will remember twin choke carburettors usually Zenith or Solex or, if you were lucky, Weber. They had two throttles, if you drove the car gently it only used one but if you opened it up the secondary throttle came into play. Point being you got a completely different induction note when you crossed that divide.

Thinking about this humming noise, the Antara has swirl flaps in the inlet manifold (so does about every engine these days, petrol and diesel). So I wonder if this humming noise is related to the swirl flaps kicking in?

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 30th June 2017, 22:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulac
In fact it was Le Mans in 1955: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEk85gKJN6k
Saw a documentary about that just last week, very engrossing and quite shocking to see the lack of safety precautions on the part of the race organisers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page