Conflicting Antara info - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 22nd June 2017, 09:50 Thread Starter

Hi all,
A newbie here looking for some info and thoughts on the Antara before I part with my cash.
I'm seriously considering a later (2012 onwards) 2.2 diesel auto Antara 4x4 as both a family car and caravan dragger but there are so many conflicting opinions and reviews on them I'm not sure what to believe!
My main sticking points are:
1. Is it reliable (some say yes, others say no)
2. Is the build quality any good (see above comment)
3. What is the true average MPG? Some say its as low as 21mpg, others up to 40. I wont be driving it over 80mph and my commute is 35 miles each way, half A roads, half motorway.
4. Whats the score with DPF's in these? Are they a problem?
5. Are there any "must check" things before you buy?
6. Whats the best spec to go for?

I've had one vauxhall before (a Signum) which was brilliant so I'm hoping this is of the same breed.
Any info welcome!
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 22nd June 2017, 10:43

1. Is it reliable (some say yes, others say no)( Difficult one to answer some say have problems some don't. there is no set rule)

2. Is the build quality any good
( I am not really sure it is, mine is a 65 plate 12,000 miles and has more squeaks, rattles than a box of angry mice fighting a dozen budgies)

3. What is the true average MPG? Some say its as low as 21mpg, others up to 40. I wont be driving it over 80mph and my commute is 35 miles each way, half A roads, half motorway.
(When it's not doing its regeneration of the DPF.... mine has averaged over 38 mpg mixed driving over 4,500 miles. Mine is a manual 6 speed)

4. Whats the score with DPF's in these? Are they a problem?
( The dreaded DPF question.... Yes you will find every 500 miles (or a lot less if you have a problem) the Regen process kicks in, it will kill your fuel consumption and needs to be run at 2000 rpm continuously for 20 to 30 miles to clean the DPF out.

5. Are there any "must check" things before you buy?
( oil leaks from engine, all recall work completed service history and most of all a Warranty, did I mention Warranty.......)

6. Whats the best spec to go for?
(I have the base Exclusive S/S and I have fitted very cheaply the cruise control stick (£45) side bars etc etc, it is half leather seats and I have had the trip computer activated at no charge by the dealer. thats the cheapest model others have a bit more kit and SE has sat nav but your eyes will be looking down to read it, better off with a TOMTOM. Do not pay premium prices, these cars can be had low mileage recent model for £12k )

Do you need 4X4?? in reality you will probably hardly use 4X4 in normal usage and issues with transfer boxes with mega repair bills along with lower fuel consumption would put me off.

2015 Antara 2.2 Exclusiv 2WD Manual 163 ps Carbon Black
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 22nd June 2017, 10:56

Welcome to the forum.
Yes, like all cars some are good and some not so. However, in my experience:
1. I ignored the trade reviews online (they seemed to concern only the pre-facelift models). Instead I read the reviews from caravan owners who seemed to be delighted with the Antara as a towcar.
2. Price was a major consideration in terms of value for money. Because of the Antara's poor reviews and dated technology they never really caught on with the public. Hence, on Network Q there was a number of virtually new models for sale having been used by VX dealers as demo vehicles. I located a top of the range SE Nav with all wheel drive in a non-standard colour at a long established VX dealer in Bedfordshire. The price I paid was about 35% less than new list with a mileage of 2600 at three months old. The car was immaculate and had been cared for by the dealer, whose service was first class.
3. The SE Nav has some good features - some of which I am still discovering - and as a car for my family use I am very pleased with it after 20 months ownership. It is good to have an elevated driving position with a roomy interior. The engine clatters on tickover but it is chain-driven, not belt.
4. From the start, I took the view that as I had theoretically saved thousands on the purchase I would run the vehicle in accordance with Vauxhall's printed instructions and recommendations, including servicing at a Vauxhall dealer, and build the likely costs into my budget. There is no such thing as a free lunch.
5. It seems that the key to smooth running is to use good quality fuel at all times (e.g. Shell, Texaco, etc.). If you don't, then add an additive to the tank to keep the engine and exhaust clean. Do not use any big diesel for short hops on a regular basis - they don't like it. The DPF is a nuisance and something you have to learn to manage; these pages are full with comments about them. I believe that using the car for regular long runs at a high temperature reduces the DPF effect and the regen occurs now whilst driving on a motorway.
6. In terms of reliability, mine starts and stops when I want it to (I switch off the start/stop feature as a nuisance) and it drives steadily with an indicated average mpg of around 34 for daily driving and dropping to around 31 when towing. I try to keep to the speed limits. On the manual gearbox 6th gear is more like an overdrive for motorway cruising solo.
7. The seats are leather, fully adjustable and comfortable. Rear passengers do not complain about legroom. The aircon chills down quickly and the car is warm in cold weather. Bluetooth works fine, as does the satnav, and I have a USB memory stick
with a couple of thousand music tracks which are mainly controlled from
the steering column. The interior quality is perfectly adequate in my opinion considering that the vehicle will be crushed eventually and will never feature on The Antiques Roadshow. I should rather spend money on my interior at home; a car is just a tool to perform a task.
8. The height of the car stands above many others in a car park, which is useful.
9. Ask for the auto headlights to be reverted back to what they were originally designed for.
10. Make sure that the few recalls have been carried out (e.g. engine undertray, starter motor, etc.).
11. For a towbar installation make sure that the wiring harness runs the fridge. Also, think about a proper spare wheel rather than the spray repair gunk; there is a lot on the forum on those two subjects alone.

You will find that members of the forum are experienced and keen to help others, bless them. so don't be afraid to ask.

Would I buy another one? Probably not because they are no longer made and there are too many around that have been run badly, or on the cheap, which has caused them to be questionable. The problem is, what else do you buy to get so much for your money and lug a loaded caravan around without too much trouble? That's a difficult one. Good luck with whatever you choose. A Kia Sorrento might be alright, but get your chequebook out!

2015 2.2 CDTi SENav 163ps manual 4x4 in Carbon Flash with 19\" alloy spare towing a Bailey Unicorn III Madrid @ 1500kg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 22nd June 2017, 11:24 Thread Starter

Thanks, thats two great replies so far!
I currently drive a 2002 grande cherokee which is incredibly unreliable and ancient in terms of tech so think an Antara would be a breath of fresh air (potentially!).
I agree with the last point about "what else could you buy for the money". I'm currently looking at 2 year old network Q models with 15k on the clock for a little over £10k. That seems incredible value compared to other types/ models out there (same mney as a high mileage Nissan or Mitsubishi).
Would you say its better to buy used approved from Network Q? What are they like for extending warrenty's (thought Vauxhall did a lifetime warrenty but think thats only for the first owner??)
Thanks
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 22nd June 2017, 11:30

Thats a good price, Network Q are very good and will make sure the car is serviced and checked before you have it, plus you can use their warranty or the manufacturers warranty up to its 3rd birthday. They will also make sure it has had the recall work done. I doubt you will get a better large SUV for the money.
VX dropped the life warranty, so don't worry about that. What model is it?
Edited by: volrider

2015 Antara 2.2 Exclusiv 2WD Manual 163 ps Carbon Black
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 22nd June 2017, 11:54 Thread Starter

One is a CDTI S/S 2015 model, 9k miles and another 2016 Exclusive with 3.5k miles at £12k (reduced from £17!).
Both look pretty good.
Any thoughts on manual v auto? Always used auto for towing in the past but it does restrain y options a bit

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 22nd June 2017, 12:14

Many years ago I burnt out an auto box on my VX Carlton estate when towing. Stuck with manual ever since. I should suggest an SE Nav if you can find one; there are additional features which you might find as standard on many other cars these days. I guess you have seen this:

http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/bypass/dow...PriceGuide.pdf

2015 2.2 CDTi SENav 163ps manual 4x4 in Carbon Flash with 19\" alloy spare towing a Bailey Unicorn III Madrid @ 1500kg.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 22nd June 2017, 16:46

I have a 2014 exclusive, 2WD manual, I've done 37K and it's still spot on, I bought new, got a bargain and lifetime warranty. I looked at changing last year when dealer phoned me offering me a new SE Nav, wouldn't have 4WD as the transfer boxes keep exploding. Given the choice again I would still buy an Exclusive 2WD!! I've fit SE Nav wheels, chrome handles and side steps and it looks spot on in placid grey!!

2.2cdti 2WD EXC, placid grey with side steps & SE wheels. I love my car
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 22nd June 2017, 22:32

I have a 2012 se nav auto had it over a year and would I buy this antara again yes i would it pulls like a train fuel average 24mpg 21mpg towing but I have a big foot you'll get better with a manual plus all the extras it's a lot of car for the money Edited by: Bigjohnsparky

2012 Antara 2.2cdti 163ps Awd SE Nav Auto in Smokey eye Grey with light Titanium interior. With 19 full size matching spare.
Towing a Bailey Pegasus 554m.t.p.l.m. 1492kg
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 23rd June 2017, 00:22
Super Moderator

I had two and dont regret buying either of them.

Well made nice looking cars. For the money you cant really go wrong if you get a good one with a warranty.

MPG is okay I had a manual and averaged 30mpg for a mixed urban commute and never really had any issues with the DPF.

Best to have a good drive in it and see what you think for yourself.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page