Creaking Dash - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 21st June 2017, 12:06 Thread Starter

Well the Antara has developed a creak similar to an old wooden hull warship, when there is body flexing (round corners and over bumps)near to the windscreen? I am used to the many other rattles in the car but this is a new one. My mate reckons the guy who put the car together had a bad day, probably found out his wife was cheating on him.. Well if that's the case I am concerned that the South Koreans are a promiscuous bunch as the amount of different faults I have with the car points to all of the workforce having wife problems

2015 Antara 2.2 Exclusiv 2WD Manual 163 ps Carbon Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 21st June 2017, 14:52

.... the angry South Korean sabotaging your Antara, Volrider I love it except it was probably a female SK employee which makes me think the SK males have it made.

Anyone remember that advert on TV for the Nissan factory up in Newcastle where they used sub-titles to show what they were actually saying? I seem to recall another one where two orientals were arguing and sub-titles were shown and the pitch got higher and higher then there wa a loud clang and the arguing all stopped. It was the wife clobbering him with the frying pan (or the wok). Priceless.

To get back to the rattles and creaks I must confess that mines is remarkably free of them - touch wood. For dashboard creaks in the past I've found that an aerosol of furniture polish liberally sprayed over all the plastic bit seemed to help. Rattles were a case of finding the speedo cable or alectrical loom or heater control cable or whatever and wrapping up with sponge filler or tiewrapping out of the way. Don't forget the anti-roll bar rubbers if it's coming from the fron, spray them with WD40 and see if it helps. Won't last long but puts you on the right track.

2015 Antara Exclusiv 2.2 163ps Manual 2WD
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 21st June 2017, 21:06 Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips Victor, definitely a sound from the interior behind the top of the dash I think.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 26th June 2017, 20:57

Had a few clicks and creaks today from the dash, near the windscreen, whilst motorway driving. I think it was the rapid cooling of full aircon at max on an interior that was baking hot inside before I started. I didn't notice it on the return journey.

2015 2.2 CDTi SENav 163ps manual 4x4 in Carbon Flash with 19\" alloy spare towing a Bailey Unicorn III Madrid @ 1500kg.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 26th June 2017, 21:33

Thinking about this it's not the top speaker with dusk to dawn sensor creaking against the dash as I have read that some pop out of the push clip fixings

2012 Antara 2.2cdti 163ps Awd SE Nav Auto in Smokey eye Grey with light Titanium interior. With 19 full size matching spare.
Towing a Bailey Pegasus 554m.t.p.l.m. 1492kg
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 26th June 2017, 22:55
Super Moderator

I had a similar issue on my second Antara. I stopped it by pushing some grey foam in the gap between the dash and the windscreen.

I have also noticed a change in temp can cause creaks in the trim.

The best way to stop most is giving all the joints and gaps a spray of silicon spray. It works for a few months and then they come back.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 27th June 2017, 06:41 Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips, it only started a week or so ago and I thought it was temp related, but no every bump or turn it creaks like an arthritic knee joint. I will try silcon spray as I have some of that handy, somewhere so handy no doubt I wont be able to find itI tried pushing trim on dash and surround but cant feel it make any difference, thought it was trim round steering wheel as that can creak when pulled/pushed, but nope not that either. The hunt will go on, thanks again for the tips

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 27th June 2017, 11:38

Tip of the day if using any sprays ie silicone near windscreen cover windscreen with something as you don't want to be spending the next hour getting it off the glass
I would have thought a dry lubricant spray with ptfe something like below

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311813311131 Edited by: Bigjohnsparky

2012 Antara 2.2cdti 163ps Awd SE Nav Auto in Smokey eye Grey with light Titanium interior. With 19 full size matching spare.
Towing a Bailey Pegasus 554m.t.p.l.m. 1492kg
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 27th June 2017, 15:09

Or else try a pair of these Incidentally I read that most airlines are requiring you to remove these ear plugs because they might interfere with you hearing emergency instructions. Utter tosh, some ppl (myself included) aree badly affected by changes in pressurisation and it can leave you temporarily deafened and in considerable pain as well.

2015 Antara Exclusiv 2.2 163ps Manual 2WD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page