Towbar fitting DIY - Vauxhall Antara Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 10th April 2017, 18:32 Thread Starter

Hi all, Looking at fitting the towbar myself as Witter are very expensive, can anyone advise please:
1, Can the frame be fitted without removing parts of the car, i.e. bumper/exhaust ?
2, Do i have to cut into the car electrics or is there some sort of dedicated socket that a suitable electric kit will just plug into, I would like to install the black and grey 7 pin sockets ?

i am competent with general car mechanics but don't really want to start pulling my new car apart and am definitely not confident with modern car electrics.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 10th April 2017, 18:46

Try ph jones on line good price and there dedicated 13 pin wiring kit is a easy to fit have a look at the towing section on here some good tips.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 11th April 2017, 14:41
Groupie

The tow bar can be fitted without disturbing the exhaust. The only thing that needs to be removed is the rear recovery eye.
Dedicated electrics are just plug and play for lights etc. If you want power to a caravan fridge/battery then you'll need to run a cable from the car battery to the towing electrics. This cable is also provided in the kit.

Phil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 15th April 2017, 11:36 Thread Starter

Cool thanks
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 15th April 2017, 15:11

Hi Smidsy,Got my tow bar and wiring kit online from phjones, Igot the 13 pin socket kit but i'm sure they do the two socket kit. The dedicated wiring kit plugs into a socket under the right rear of the car(looking from the back)They are very helpful if you have a problem. Fitted mine on the path at home and didn't even need to jack it up in about 2 hours including full electrics.

Antara Diamond 163bhp 2.2cdti 4wd in Sovereign Silver with black interior
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 15th April 2017, 15:46

My socket was on the left looking from back .it took about 2hours same .
It's not hard you don't need a jack just tools

2017 1.4 turbo Mokka design nav
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 16th April 2017, 12:06
Groupie

Hi ,I bought mine as a kit from a company in Italy via Ebay ,good price ,dedicated wiring & fast delivery . Only towbars 2 based in Umbria if I remember right. The dedicated wiring just plugs in at the back & the wiring runs up to the engine bay & terminates at the Battery ,instructions ate supplied. As for the Tow Bar you just remove the bolts from the subframe. As Swinton says a couple of hours will see it sorted.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 16th April 2017, 13:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_L
The tow bar can be fitted without disturbing the exhaust. The only thing that needs to be removed is the rear recovery eye.
Dedicated electrics are just plug and play for lights etc. If you want power to a caravan fridge/battery then you'll need to run a cable from the car battery to the towing electrics. This cable is also provided in the kit.

Phil.
The bumper needs to be removed as well.

My wife says that I never listen or something like that !
2.2 diesel Diamond 63. Swift Challenger 580
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 16th April 2017, 14:15

You don't need to take the bumper off .only the rear towing eye .
Who told you that about bumper removal .i did mine and did not remove any thing only the towing eye .
No jack needed only socket set a ring spanner it will only take about 1 1/2 hours

2017 1.4 turbo Mokka design nav
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 16th April 2017, 18:52
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_L

Phil.
The bumper needs to be removed as well.
My bumper didn't need removing....

Phil.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vauxhall Antara Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page